Ammunition as art?

Call me crazy, but I always liked taking still photos and often use ammunition as subject matter. Many ammunition components are extremely complicated with complex shapes and textures. For the longest time now ammunition has been used in the fabrication of trench art, souvenirs, military commemoratives, artistic lamps, paper weights and all kinds of artistic sculptures. I know this forum is primarily technical but I figured I’d post a few artsy ammo pics I just took with my cheap digital. I can’t help but think outside the box :-)

JAPANESE BOMB FUZE’S

LEFT to RIGHT (105MM M735 APFSDS, 30MM APFSDS, German 105MM DM128 TP-APFSDS, 120MM M865 TP-APFSDS)

M735 Tail Fins, 30MM APFSDS Case, British 120MM APFSDS Tail Fins)

105MM M735, M833, 120MM M865, 105MM M797, M774

SAME

MIS APFSDS Tail Fins

Ammo Art seems fine to me :-)

Thanks Walter! I have seen some incredible TRENCH ART in the past that was just spectacular. SLICKRICK, a forum member here, even made a really neat ammo related desk lamp out an assortment of different caliber rounds and a ammo box. I personally like taking pics, but the assortment of creative artistic ideas people have come up with utilizing ammunition and its components are mind boggling.

Jason

BRAVO- you have taken ammunition art to a new and digital level. See my articles about the subject of Ammunition art in the Journal and Shotgun News. You might want to add some identification .

Thanks Jason.

And just so y’all know, all the bigger stuff was in bad shape. I used a huge amount of artistic license with the colors.[/img]

Thank you Dr. Schmitt. I just read your article in the Journal on the ceremonial 40MM cases, fantastic! I get Shotgun News but it is so hard to keep up with it as it comes so often. I will see if I still have any past copies filed and try hunting down your paper on the subject. HI ope I find it. I have some great Black & White artistic “Macro” pictures of the torpedo gyroscopes that are my favorite so far. The cool thing about digital camera’s is that you can take a gazillion pics and choose the ones to keep.

RICK, thanks for posting that photo again of your “AMMO LAMP”! It is awesome!

Just added titles to above pictures as suggested.

I think I can call it ammo art as there are 2 grenade rds in the picture ;-)

A Fairburn-Sykes Commando knife with a Discharger, Grenade 2.5", 2 No36 Mills Grenades fitted with Plates for use with the Discharger, the plates were made by New Zealand Railway Workshop (nPz), the tin holds 14 rds of .303 H Mark 1Zz Grenade Launcher rds made at Walsrode New Zealand by C.A.C (Colonial Ammunition Company) in 1942 and the 2 rds shown are C.A.C 42, top half of the rd stained purple.

Hey Walter,

The grenades and knife would make a great lamp.

Rick

[quote=“slick rick”]Hey Walter,

The grenades and knife would make a great lamp.

Rick[/quote]

It would be an expensive lamp, the knife is worth between $400 - $600.

Awesome Walter! I am not big in to grenades, but the one on the right is really interesting. Great composition :-) I also found the purple cases really wild. Thanks for posting.

Jason

Here are a few close up pics primarily in Black & White of some torpedo and missile parts.

This is a 1940’s issue air & spring driven Whitehead Torpedo gyroscope used to keep the torpedo on target. Such a simple scientific concept ( A Body In Motion Wants To Stay In Motion ), yet such a complicated apparatus. I like using these torpedo parts as photography subjects.

This is a color & black & white pic of a Japanese air dropped torpedo gyro.

Guidance and stabilization gyroscope for a British Blow Pipe missile. The engineering in this is spectacular! This gyro is mounted on the tip of the missile. I just liked all the shapes and shadows.

I am not sure what US torpedo this is from, guessing 1950’s era. Loved taking pics of it :-)

Walter

OK, a REALLY great lamp! As an amasser of knives, I assumed from its condition that yours might be “original”. Unlike the many guns and assorted munitions I have acquired and traded over the years, I have yet to trade off or sell a knife. Still have my first and ALL the knives I have ever ended up with. Needless to say, there’s a bunch there, but none on the level of your Fairburn-Sykes. Well, maybe a couple, but I don’t have one of those. Yet.

Rick

[quote=“Walter Shumate”]I think I can call it ammo art as there are 2 grenade rds in the picture ;-)

A Fairburn-Sykes Commando knife with a Discharger, Grenade 2.5", 2 No36 Mills Grenades fitted with Plates for use with the Discharger, the plates were made by New Zealand Railway Workshop (nPz), the tin holds 14 rds of .303 H Mark 1Zz Grenade Launcher rds made at Walsrode New Zealand by C.A.C (Colonial Ammunition Company) in 1942 and the 2 rds shown are C.A.C 42, top half of the rd stained purple.

[/quote]

Nice mixed media composition. Are the Mills bombs- New Zealand made ?

Stop kidding around. Throw a tiger in the passenger seat and fill the back seat with APDS shells. I want that photo for my wall .

I’ll e-mail you that pic minus the APDS stuff in the back seat! I actually have a photo of a tiger in my front seat for movie work I was working on many years ago. If I was good at photoshop, I’d paste a few APDS shells in the back to perfectly fit your order :-) I would imagin you have one of the coolest offices!

You don’t need a tiger in your tank when you have one in the front seat !

[quote=“CSAEOD”]
Nice mixed media composition. Are the Mills bombs- New Zealand made ?[/quote]

The ones in the photo aren’t but I do have a NZ Mills Bomb somewhere.

Here’s another ammo related pic. World War 1: Its a British No19 & No5 Grenades, Knuckleduster and some .303 rds.

Nice lot.