Ammunition box, cal 22 ball long rifle

Another one that fits into the “not often seen” category.

Are you guys getting tired of looking at ammunition boxes??

Or, maybe you are simply too cold to care?? It’s really chilly here. 55 degrees. That’s PLUS 55 Degrees.

Ray

Oh Ho ! Well played Ray, well played…

But I’ll see your Remington can and raise you a Winchester

…and 22 Short to boot !

Keith

You must be staying indoors, which is why you are still coherent. ;-) ;-)

I can’t wait to hear from our guys in the Great Lakes area. Such as Ron. Maybe cyber-space is frozen too??

That 22 BLANK SHORT box is the best one so far. Now I’ll have to look up what those tiny cartridges were used for.

Ray

Ray,

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m enjoying the ammo can pics and associated info. I think its one of the “categories” associated with cartridge collecting that has not received much attention. The only draw back to collecting them is the space they take up. But you can still use them for storage or “person” (gender neutral) cave decorating.

50m2hb,

Do you know if the MCAAP 9-85 on your .22 short blank can stands for McAlester Army Ammunition Plant?

Thanks,

Brian

I think the cans are cool. Speaking of cool, at 0030 Eastern time early this AM it was 22 degrees below zero(Fahrenheit) . It warmed up to 14 above. Thank you global warming. Could be worse could be on a research vessel studying global warming in the Antarctic. I’d rather look at ammo cans.

Heck yeah I’m indoors. They’re saying snow starts around midnight and will dump 12" in 24 hours. THEN the temp drops Monday down to -25 degrees, that’s REAL temp, not windchill. Windchill is going to be like -45. If that’s not enough for you, it’s going to be subzero for 2-3 days.

This is not good.

This is northern Alaska weather and we live in Indiana!

I’m guessing the blanks were military contract for some actuator, nail guns for example, but who knows.

I’m assuming MCAAP was McAlester, but didn’t know for sure.

yeah, space for an ammo can collection is a BIG consideration. But I always looked at it that you can always find a use for another can.

I’ve got empty cans that held ammo, projos, projo cores, primers, smoke grenades, etc. You name it and they stuffed everything into the M2A1 cans at one time or another. For the M2A1 can (‘50 caliber sized’), I’ve seen 'em stenciled .22 LR, 5.7, .30, .30 Carbine, .223, 7.62, 9mm, 9mm AT4 Subcal, .38, .40, .45, .50, even 20mm! Ball, Blank, Dummy, Frang, HPT, Tracer, Dim Tracer, AP, API, APIT, API(D)T, Short Range, SLAP, Incend, EOD, EFMJ, Match, TP, Duplex, Spotter-Tracer, Salvo, Stoner gun, etc.

I’m slowly publishing some of the more interesting cans as filler material in VHP Magazine

Just don’t get me started on .50 cal ammo cans. Your eyes will bleed long before I ever get finished posting.

Here was a good discussion I started on a .30 Cal ammunition box that was never answered as to who made it and why it has a US arsenal Flaming Bomb embossing on it. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11248

Joe

Ray–Here in Northern Michigan my temperatures have been similar to Keith’s. Starting on November 20, we have had some sort of snow, ranging from 8" to 12" to flurries every single day. Right now I have about 18" of snow in my back yard. And, like Keith, I stay inside unless I absolutely must go out (like for food). This has been one of the coldest winters I can remember for many years. The coldest was back in 1951. It got down to -52 F. Wind chill had not been invented yet, but it would have been about -70 F. It was so cold that the fuel oil in the line from the outside tank to the stove turned to jelly and could not flow. So, we had NO heat for 48 hours!!! My Father, not knowing about fuel oil turning to jelly at those temperatures, disassembled the carburetor to the stove, thinking it was clogged. About the time he got it all apart, the local radio station (we didn’t have a TV until 1957) was warning people about the problem.

Ron

I may joke about it, but I sympathize with you guys. Cold like that is serious stuff. Last January we had three straight weeks of below freezing during the day and -15 at night and I was ready to shut everything down and retreat to Phoenix. Nothing near to what you are getting but still, very cold for this part of the country. I dreaded the coming of this winter, but so far we have had good weather, except we’ve had no snow which is bad for the deer, elk, javelina, and other wild animals.

So, hang in there. It will get better. Al Gore said so. :-)

Ray

oh, well, if Al said so…

Here are a couple of (the only) rare ammo cans I have for a .22 cal load. They are for the FN 5.7x28 SS190 AP and L191 APT:

why the different quantities of .22 for the (presumably) same sized cans? were they shipped partially filled?

It may depend on the intended use of the cartridges and also on the size of the boxes. You may have noticed that .22 boxes containing 50 rounds may vary in size in a quite essencial scale. So packing them in one and the same box (as here) will give different qtys.
The intended use may influence the qty when unless for regular target shooting cartridges may be made for special applications where rather few cartridges will be needed over an even long time period. So it would not make sense to deliver 5000 rounds when about 4500 will expire shelf life because they will not be used before they become unserviceable.
Last but not least complete lots of cartrdiges sometimes do cause at least one crate or box to be filled only partially in order to match the ordered qty (have seen that in reality).

These are just some possible factors - there may be more.

A sealed Kirkee Arsenal can ca. 1961

A British can, not sure who manufactured the contents (now empty).

Regarding the variation in can quantity, for my examples, the .22 LR probably contained the same number of rounds as Ray’s example, but as they began using them up, someone erased the quantity stencil and hand-wrote the updated quantity. 1 can probably provided enough rounds to last the training unit a LONG time, so inventorying contents probably became quite common.

The .22 Short Blank was for different purposes than the .22 LR, so the needed quantity was probably different. In my example, the 22 short ammo was packed in a .30 cal sized can, rather than the .50 cal sized can of the .22 LR.

Much of the .22 LR ammo issued by the military went to ROTC, JROTC and civilian rifle clubs for their use. Oddball quantities reflected the authorized allowance (usually based on the number of members).

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]
A British can, not sure who manufactured the contents (now empty).
[/quote]

Pete, your 1200rd box looks like it contained Eley cartridges.

I have a couple of boxes that contained 22 LR ammunition sent to a civilian junior rifle club that was affiliated with the old DCM. They have been re-painted a pukey brown color with the information stenciled on. I don’t have photos of them. Some day, I am going to take one of them and strip the new paint to see what the box was originally. There may be jewel under there.

I also have one that is painted a dark blue. Somewhere, I have a list of the different colors and what they meant.

Ray

EOD, now that you point it out… thanks

Ray
if the 22’s are like Cal. .30 then blue would be for that stuff only you collect - Match (just kidding about only you as I know of at least three others…)