Ammunition in the News

nbclosangeles.com/news/local … 96279.html

Seems the gangsters have stepped up their firepower.

Well, at least they only used a training rocket with inert warhead and fuze…

Dave

The article says it was an “M29A2 Rocket”. This is a 3.5" Bazooka practise round. It is mentioned in the “ammunition” section on the page below:

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/antiarmor/M20.html

like this one…

Or this.

Rick,

You might be able to find a Safety Band for your item if you keep a keen eye out while strolling the streets of Hemet…

Dave

[quote=“DaveE”]http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Suspicious-Device-on-Roof-Was-Rocket-Police-95896279.html

Dave[/quote]

Rank amateurs at best, you’ve got to look to Scandinavia to find out how these things are done … viz;

independent.co.uk/news/the-a … 57162.html

I wonder what happened after that? It would be unusual for it to have gone unavenged.

Happy collecting, Peter

I wonder where they got this ancient weapon from and who had been keeping it for the last 50+ years.

Falcon,

The term “ancient” might be a little tough for some folks on the Forum who were in the service when this was still a current issue item! These saw use right up through the Viet Nam conflict at least.

While this incident may have just been kids playing around, the more disturbing implication would be gangs with Mexican Cartel connections having access to military hardware distributed as surplus by the US to other countries. With the cash and nefarious connections these outfits have, the Hemet Police are lucky it wasn’t a full up RPG.

The article has been updated with a video clip by the way.

Dave

DaveE

Yea. Safety clips and hen’s teeth fall in the same category. Sad, that. A recently acquired, mint, M28A2, with clip, makes me feel better about myself, tho.

Rick

I am keeping my ears open to any and all info on available safety clips:

First time my post ever got reworded by mod - I’ll just delete this one.

Rick,

That one’s a beauty! The tag in the back is great. What does it say?

I wouldn’t recommend that headgear for motorcycle use…

Dave

I didn’t realise they were used that late. I was also thinking that the cartels would probably have had access to newer firepower than that. Whatever happened, the launcher is still out there, and could still be very deadly if someone found a live HE round.

Rick,

Very cool and very nice…Thanks for showing the tag.

Falcon,

You are right about the drug cartels having access to more modern munitions. Some of the stuff being confiscated certainly is not coming form gun show in the U.S. as the politicians would have the public believe. (And, yes, the 3.5" rocket is “vintage”). It just irked me to think that police officers in this country may be under attack with surplus U.S. hardware now in the wrong hands. We can hope this was just a case of someone’s innocent rocketry endeavor gone wrong.

Dave

Interestingly, after all the discussion, a careful reading of the articles in the newspaper doesn’t offer up any evidence that this rocket was even fired. It was simply found on a roof and it seems from the article, assumed to have been fired at the police station and missed. It seems equally possible that someone just threw it up on the roof to get rid of it, or to try to scare someone. Of course, it also doesn’t say how high the building it was found on is, although the police station seems to be a single-level building, and if they assumed it was shot at that building, and found on the roof of another nearby, one must assume the buildings were of similar height, with the other perhaps being as tall as two stories.

I’d like to hear the real story behind this thing, not what is covered in the California press, which is routinely hysterical about anything to do with weaponry. If a person is busted, and has two otherwise legal guns and 1,000 rounds of ammo (equal to two cartons of .22s - big deal!), it would be reported that the police found a huge arsenal of illicit weapons.

Personally, there are things about crime in California that worries me a lot more than this practice Bazooka round.

John Moss

[quote=“DaveE”]Rick,

Very cool and very nice…Thanks for showing the tag.

Falcon,

You are right about the drug cartels having access to more modern munitions. Some of the stuff being confiscated certainly is not coming form gun show in the U.S. as the politicians would have the public believe. (And, yes, the 3.5" rocket is “vintage”). It just irked me to think that police officers in this country may be under attack with surplus U.S. hardware now in the wrong hands. We can hope this was just a case of someone’s innocent rocketry endeavor gone wrong.

Dave[/quote]
Should illegals with military weaponry caught on US soil not be classed as non-uniformed foreign combatants and subject to trial in a military court?

Falcon

HaHaHaHaHa.

No, Falcon.

That’s not how we roll.
Things are different now.
We are not convinced.
Plus, there’s a voting bloc in the mix.
Musn’t stampede the herd.
Come on 2012!!!

John,

Let’s hope you are right that this may just be a matter of poor reporting or over reaction to a mere coincidence of events. We likely won’t ever know the full story. I doubt anything good will come from this either way and I suspect the net result may be detrimental to those who safely and legally collect such inert items like that found on the roof at the scene of this event.

Rick,

Are you suggesting that the perpetrators, if caught, are more likely to be handed a voter registration card rather than prison garb? How cynical…

Still, I like that rocket you have there. I’m olive drab with envy.

Dave

Dave

1. Yes. I am.

2. You should be. It’s the real, inerted thing. Not a repaint. I’m still giddy about it.

[quote=“enfield56”][quote=“DaveE”]http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Suspicious-Device-on-Roof-Was-Rocket-Police-95896279.html
Dave[/quote]Rank amateurs at best, you’ve got to look to Scandinavia to find out how these things are done … viz;
independent.co.uk/news/the-a … 57162.html
I wonder what happened after that? It would be unusual for it to have gone unavenged.
Happy collecting, Peter[/quote]The HA took out the Bandidos HQ in Drammen, Norway 1997 with an ANFO bomb. 1 dead and damage for 250 Million NOK. One of the norwegian HA members charged with the bombing was at the party in Copenhagen when the building was hit, probably with a swedish AT4.
Swedish army depots were easy to break in to and also supplied the Blekingegade gang* with AT4’s
Soren

*Extreme left wing group, associated with PFLP.