Ammunition question

hi there. i was going through a box of my grandfathers things and i found 2 boxes of OLD ammunition. they are as follows:

WESTERN TRADEMARK SUPER X LONG RANGER 22 LONG 50 RIM FIRE CARTRIDGES (full box)

REMINGTON KLEANBORE STANDARD VELOCITY 50 RIM FIRE 22 SHORT CARTRIDGES (full box as well)

do these have any collector value? theyve been in a basement for YEARS, so i dont know if theyd still be live or not. thanks.

dave

Dave,
I beleive your Western box dates from the early 1960s at the earliest. Incidently, it should say ‘SUPER X LONG RANGE (not Ranger) 22 LONG’. Does this box anf the Remington box have a ‘Keep out of reach of children’ warning? If so, they were made after 1962. If made around 1960, values if in excellent condition would be around $3 to $4 each.

Pictures would help pin them down a little more accurately.

[quote=“Guy Hildebrand”]Dave,
I beleive your Western box dates from the early 1960s at the earliest. Incidently, it should say ‘SUPER X LONG RANGE (not Ranger) 22 LONG’. Does this box anf the Remington box have a ‘Keep out of reach of children’ warning? If so, they were made after 1962. If made around 1960, values if in excellent condition would be around $3 to $4 each.

Pictures would help pin them down a little more accurately.[/quote]

yeah its SUPER X LONG RANGE, i guess i looked at the box too quick… haha. NEITHER of the boxes have that warning. heres a couple pics:

Your boxes are earlier than I had assumed. That style Western box was used from 1931 through about 1955. If the company address is Western Cartridge Co, it dates from 1931 to 1944; if it is Western Cartridge Co, Division of Olin Industries, Inc, 1944 to 1954; if Winchester-Western, Division Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp, 1954 to about 1955. The .22 long boxes are less common than short and long rifle. I’d estimate = your box to be worth from $10 to $20.

That style Remington Kleanbore box was produced from about 1946 to about 1962. It should be worth around $5.

[quote=“Guy Hildebrand”]Your boxes are earlier than I had assumed. That style Western box was used from 1931 through about 1955. If the company address is Western Cartridge Co, it dates from 1931 to 1944; if it is Western Cartridge Co, Division of Olin Industries, Inc, 1944 to 1954; if Winchester-Western, Division Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp, 1954 to about 1955. The .22 long boxes are less common than short and long rifle. I’d estimate = your box to be worth from $10 to $20.

That style Remington Kleanbore box was produced from about 1946 to about 1962. It should be worth around $5.[/quote]

yes the westerns are olin matheson.

i dont know where to sell these though. any thoughts?

If you want to consider auctioning them off, you might try listing them on www.gunbroker.com, or perhaps a .22 box collector will see this and contact you directly.