Ammunition Tests 1990 & 1992

These tests were conducted by the FBI in the early '90s to decide on the “BEST” cartridge for their use. A lack of stopping power by the then current .357 loading was a factor in the Miami shootout with a couple of bank robbers. Anyway, these volumes layout, in great detail, the effects of assorted calibers on various materials. Sorry, but no headstamp type collector info, or case details. More of a ballistics compendium. Just about every serious handgun caliber is covered. These tests resulted in the Bureau ultimately deciding on the 10MM in conjunction with the Smith & Wesson Model 1076. The initial loading was a bit hot for the 1076, turning the 10MM into a .40 Long. Thus the .40 was born. To fit in a 9MM sized frame. Evolution, as it were.
The books are 200 pages each, just chock full-o data. The pics will give a visual.

img]
[/img]
[/img]

Slick

If you’re interested in that sorta thing you should also get copies of the previous tests done by Gen Hatcher and, I believe, Chic Gaylord using actual meat and bones targets (cadavers and such). It would be interesting to compare results.

Ray

Hey Ray

Interested in about everything that goes bang. Have read bits and pieces on other tests. While not directly involved with this testing, I was a field “guinea pig” tester by default, having some friends in the organization, who were sent guns and ammo for their evaluation. As a known shooter, they asked if I’d like to come out and play. Dumb question. Anyway, I got to shoot some of the first 10MM. We set up “Poppers” targets at varying ranges and fired at each one with assorted calibers. No instrumentation. Just a bunch of guys blasting ammo. I do recall the 10MM knocking down the popper at over 100 yds. when nothing else would. It was the hot stuff, prior to being downsized, to keep from cracking the frames on the 1076. Wish I’d kept some hulls/rounds/boxes. That was before I became a bullet collector.

Rick