Ammunology 101

I have been trying for many years to find a word which describes the collecting and/or study of ammunition. An AMMUNOPHILE (someone who loves ammunition) just doesn’t slide off the tongue. How about AMMUNOLOGY and AMMUNOLOGIST ?

Cartology and cartography have already been taken by the map makers.

There are many who have risen to the masters and doctorate level in this field of study.

We need a proper name !

Any other suggestions ?

I like the German word:

Patronencollectinferbreakenzbank

Ray

Ray, this is not German.

Ammonitionist -:)

EOD

Some German words have to be interpreted with tongue firmly in cheek.

Such as the word for a Magnum cartridge:

Eargesplittenloudenboomer

Or, the German word for brassiere:

Stoppenzfloppen

No offense to Dutch or any of our other German friends. None intended. All in good fun. :) :)

Ray

Other people don’t understand our knowledge hunger for ammo.
My suggestion: ammoknowledge. Sounds good for a Dutch guy.

We use some times here a neologism introduced more than 35 years ago by a former ECCC/now ECRA member, who had some notions of ancient Greek :

Cartridge collecting is PYROTHECOLOGY

a collector being a PYROTHECOLOGUE

from pyros = fire, thecos= envelope, and logos = to speak of…

This contraptions have been accepted by several well-known French dictionnaries… but are not in constant and practical use…as the ancient Greek language itself!!!

Philippe

Sorry, I mixed the actual thing:

a collector is a PYROTHECOPHILE, (PYROTHECOLOGUE being for the one who studies ammo).

Philippe

[quote=“philippe regenstreif”]Sorry, I mixed the actual thing:

a collector is a PYROTHECOPHILE, (PYROTHECOLOGUE being for the one who studies ammo).

Philippe[/quote]

The problem with this in English is that PYROTECHNICS are flares and/or devices which use fire to effect work. This word to the English ear implies that one is either; 1) someone dealing in flares in some manner, 2) works with fireworks or is 3) some sort of PYROMANIAC who loves to start fires.

This will not catch on in the English speaking world.

As a personal aside may I add - YIKE !

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]I like the German word:

Patronencollectinferbreakenzbank

Ray[/quote]

Ja! I love it.

My notice “Nine mit die Paypalen” ( which I use on ebay) also seems to rile and/or confuse Germans in some manner BUT Americans get it. Americans who have studied German like to correct me.

[quote=“philippe regenstreif”]We use some times here a neologism introduced more than 35 years ago by a former ECCC/now ECRA member, who had some notions of ancient Greek :

Cartridge collecting is PYROTHECOLOGY

a collector being a PYROTHECOLOGUE

from pyros = fire, thecos= envelope, and logos = to speak of…

This contraptions have been accepted by several well-known French dictionnaries… but are not in constant and practical use…as the ancient Greek language itself!!!

Philippe[/quote]

Does this person have any knowledge of English?

I totally dig PYROTHECOPHILE! Numismatic works for currency collectors and sure as heck doesn’t sound like currency, coin or money to my “English ear”. Kudos to Latin roots!

Thank you for the best laugh I have had in a LONG time. How do you feel about NECROPHILE ?

Sounds GREEK to me.

Damn, it was Greek wasn’t it. I should have looked harder. I thought I saw a reference to Late Latin in one of the definitions. Eh who cares anyway.

BINGO !

I thought that I made a mistake once but I was mistaken.

Keep up the good work.

Is it still possible to do POLLs ? If so let’s vote on the more suitable words: AMMUNOLOGY,AMMUNOLOGIST OR PYROTHECOLOGY, PYROTHECOLOGUE.

That makes a PYROTECHOPHOBE as one with a morbid fear of ammunition? Or someone that wants to outlaw ammunition ownership? (Sorry…couldn’t resist, mate)

We could extend it to PYROTECHOLOGIST as a person who studies ammunition.

If we substitute the word “escape” for “envelope” we get “PYROPHEUGO”…easily twisted into “PYROPHEUGOLOGIST”.

{Disclaimer…I know ZERO Greek, and any English-to-Greek translators on the Web return values in these really funny-lookin’ characters…}

Try telling your bride of 50 years, “Honey, I have to confess that I’ve become a PYROTHECOPHILE.” She would probably call the guys in the white coats. Not that she needs another excuse.

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Try telling your bride of 50 years, “Honey, I have to confess that I’ve become a PYROTHECOPHILE.” She would probably call the guys in the white coats. Not that she needs another excuse.

Ray[/quote]

When I was a kid, I collected stamps. A “philatalist”. But somewhere I got that a little confused, and proudly proclaimed one day, "Mom, I’m a philanderist!"
It was some years before I understood the withering glare I got that day…

That makes a PYROTECHOPHOBE as one with a morbid fear of ammunition? Or someone that wants to outlaw ammunition ownership? (Sorry…couldn’t resist, mate)

We could extend it to PYROTECHOLOGIST as a person who studies ammunition.

If we substitute the word “escape” for “envelope” we get “PYROPHEUGO”…easily twisted into “PYROPHEUGOLOGIST”.

{Disclaimer…I know ZERO Greek, and any English-to-Greek translators on the Web return values in these really funny-lookin’ characters…}[/quote]

All just kind of slides off the tongue , no?