AMU meaning

More often than not, I see this as Army Marksmanship Unit.
But HWS call it Advanced Marksmanship Unit, (Index), and Army Advanced Marksmanship Unit, (Text). Without Ray M., which is correct? Or does it matter, if we all know what we’re talking about? (But it would matter to Ray…:)

Dan

The AMU documents I know and an ARMY article by Olympic Medalist Lones W. Wigger, who served there, say “U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit”.
The above is from the late seventies/early eighties time frame. Possibly the name changed over the years.

Readers of this forum know that I think these things do matter. They eventually lead to calling a Belgian cartridge Argentine.

Edited for P.S.: Looking at the current AMU homepage, there is no indication that its name was changed since its creation in 1956 by President Eisenhower.
According to an article by the late Jim Schatz, who also served at AMU, in Small Arms Review 2008, there existed ATMUs (Advanced[!] Marksmanship Training Units) at a number of Army posts. But he also gives no indication that AMU itself ever had a name other than United States Army Marksmanship Unit.

Hi Dan and Jochem,

There are three different correct meanings depending on the time frame:

• 1956-1962: Advanced Marksmanship Unit (AMU) or United States Army Advanced Marksmanship Unit (USAAMU);
  • 1962-1973: Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) or United States Army Marksmanship Training Unit (USAMTU);
  • 1973-2018: Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) or United States Army Marksmanship Unit (USAMU).

Regards,

Fede

Thank you, Fede for this, as always, excellent presentation of the facts.

Thank you again Fede,
That explains it, and HWS III. Everything I found was written in the late 70’s and 80’s, and I was not sure. Thank you too Jochem. I think we probably have it correct.

Dan