An Eley cartridge

A other English made cartridge to identify. It looks like .43 EGYPTIAN REMINGTON.

What is it ?

CL : 51.4 mm
TL : 68.8 mm
SL : 12.5 mm

BD : 11.44 mm
MD : 12.40 mm
ND : 12.85 mm
SD : 13.95 mm
HD : 14.60 mm
RD : 16.75 mm

chassepot

I don’t know abouout this cartridge but I note the little diamond symbol which I also noted on the headstamp of the cartridge in the 500/.450 thread.

Can anybody place the meaning of this symbol?

I’m bringing this post back to tie in with another thread

[quote=“VinceGreen”]I don’t know abouout this cartridge but I note the little diamond symbol which I also noted on the headstamp of the cartridge in the 500/.450 thread.

Can anybody place the meaning of this symbol?[/quote]

Vince, could it relate to the propellant ? I’m thinking something like the the diamond symbol used for shotgun cartridges that were loaded with Smokeless Diamond powder.

Thats a possibility and you do see shotgun cartridges, mainly Eley, with “smokeless ^ diamond” printed on the tube. Its the same symbol sure enough.
But the shotgun cartridges that I have seen with that come a bit later than the time frame I would have put for the .43 Egyptian. With a coiled case I would have thought black powder was a certainty.

I’m stretching my memory a bit here but doesn’t the smokeless diamond symbol have a dot in the middle?

Smokeless Diamond was a follow on to C&H’s use of Diamond as the trade name for their ordinary blackpowder although I wouldn’t have thought the brand name was strong enough to incorporate it into a headstamp.

[quote=“VinceGreen”]I’m stretching my memory a bit here but doesn’t the smokeless diamond symbol have a dot in the middle?
Smokeless Diamond was a follow on to C&H’s use of Diamond as the trade name for their ordinary blackpowder although I wouldn’t have thought the brand name was strong enough to incorporate it into a headstamp.[/quote]

Vince, I wasn’t implying it was Smokeless Diamond, merely suggesting it could relate to propellant type in the same way that diamond symbols were used on shotgun cartridges loaded with Smokeless Diamond, EC Diamond, and possibly others.

There might be something in the Eley Cartridges book that my wife has bought me for Christmas, but I’ll have to wait until then as it’s hidden in the house somewhere.

I have several Boxer cartridges in various case types (revolver and rifle) with:

An uninterrupted curved line under the Eley Bros

An interrupted line with a ◊ or a ♦ in the mid-point as is shown above.

Just a Maltese Cross (with flat ended, not pointed tips/legs as in a true Maltese Cross - An X - with 4 tapered legs expanding outward towards the ends for lack of a better description). This cross is found as impressed or as a raised “X” in the center of an impressed square.

Given the variety of the symbols, my guess would be something Eley used in-house to keep track of some facet of production in which problems had occurred with end usage or perhaps a method of keeping track of production, or perhaps even to provide eye candy for the buyer, after all it was mostly made and marketed in the Victorian era.

Further variations occur with the size of the Eley Bros stamp plus the addition of LONDON, just to add input, perhaps not too important to this symbol conversation?

Pete
Thanks for that, its another one of those little questions that going to probably need a time machine to answer. The main point of my previous post was that it appears to be common to Eley and Kynoch at a time when the two companies was rivals. And I would certainly date these two rounds as being before 1918 when the first links occoured.