An idea for possible commemorative cartridge

Is this a project worth considering?

• Yes
  • No
  • Don’t Know

0 voters

Hello all,

While reading Ximo’s thread: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18127 pertaining to commemorative cartridges, I was wondering how feasible it would be to create a custom headstamped cartridge for the IAA’s 65th Anniversary?

Of course my thinking was that which ever IAA member would want one, chip in for their own cartridge… And maybe a cartridge that can be used for this project (depending on the availability and “do-ability”) could be a 6.5 Grendel?

(This is just a thought, and given that most commemorative cartridges are inert (I think), this “shouldn’t” pose any problem crossing boarders…)

We do have 5 years to figure something out :-)

Regards,
Dave.

If it were done, then I would recommend a non-traditional production, done by a manufacturer that does their own machined headstamps like OATH ammo, who does this on their aluminum-cased .300 Blackout and .25acp. The 300BLK would obviously offer more room for letters. I believe traditional custom headstamps are fairly pricey, but OATH could do a custom run with the simple entry of code into their machinery, and punch out the same ammo, and around the same price as retail (I think?).

DK - How about a thread on OATH aluminum .25 acp. This is the first I have heard of it.

Several ideas have been kicked around, patches, dummies, pins & other things. The biggest problem is getting the item to each member. Can’t be put into the envelope with the journal plus we have e-journal-only members.

So now we have the added expense of separate shipping to each member & the problem of shipping even inert ammunition through the mail arises knowing that we also have members overseas and we then have to deal with customs and that countries postal system.

So do we do this like the ECRA and only make it available at SLICS? I’ve been an ECRA / ECCC member since 1983 & I didn’t get either!

Now that’s the way it is & I’m perfectly OK with that, I’m just illustrating a point, not finding fault.

In the past some Chicagoland (before SLICS) shows offered / sold patches made at the show promoter expense also SLICS, and Ohio offered table holders cartridges as does the Western States,(and before them the California CCA) with limited numbers of items made & the extras being sold to help recoup expenses. This is what the ECRA is doing. Not quite the same thing as what Dave is taking about.

So it’s not only deciding what case type to use and then getting them headstamped. Plus who does the packing, labeling & grunt work (or if is all farmed out who pays for it)?

Dave’s idea that each member pays for an example (or three) is excellent, but how do we know how many to make? Cartridge collectors are notorious for waiting to the last minute to remit journal dues, buy an auction catalog, or take a table at a show. No matter how much heads-up time is offered, someone will be pi**ed-off.

If there is a way to get past the problems I’ve noted I’m sure the board would be quite happy to listen.

Here is the thread from around a month ago: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17972

You’re taking a gamble shipping anything vaguely cartridge shaped internationally nowadays, even if inert.

I can see quite a few of these being impounded and destroyed on their way to international members.

Matt’s idea with possible OATH cartridges is good, for the fact of the customized headstamps.

Pete also raises numerous good points about this potential project:

SLICS can be a place for most North Americans to obtain these examples - whether the members obtain them in person, or a kind soul would ship them within the United States to members who can not attend SLICS.

For European and Canadian IAA members, I am unsure about the possibilities of one person bringing examples to each nation, for a specific number of members… And then have them mailed from there (it could cut down on some shipping costs).

There is lots to consider here, and some time to make those considerations, but I think if we have a few kind members who are willing to make this work, most members should receive an example (or three examples in Pete’s case).

Members must realize of a payment deadline tho, so the order can be prepared and processed. This can be done with a few (or more) bulletins in the Journal. And if people miss the deadline, they miss out.

If we all work as a community in some way, shape or form, we can no doubt get this done. Again, at each persons own expense.

(Adding to the think tank)
-Dave

If you do make it something not easily obtainable or over the top expensive such as a crispin .

210 views and only 21 votes. That should tell you something.

Ray

I should point out that the notion of a commemorative cartridge could be either IAA-centric or SLICS-centric, as a SLICS headstamp could be done, and that would be up to Vic Engel basically as to whether they would be for sale, given out to table-holders only, given as prizes somehow, etc… There are enough Europeans, South Americans, and others who attend the show that there would be a potential dispersion of them to international IAA members who might want one They would likely be packed the same as live ammo to prevent against any over-zealous customs or security issues, as the international flyers are accustomed to getting their cartridges back & forth, so that solves the shipping problem.

The main issue would be cost vs reward for whomever funds the venture, and then interest level as far as some who would only want a shotshell, others would want only a military cartridge, or pistol vs rifle, new vs old, etc… 9x19mm is probably most popular with the Europeans, while .45acp, .308, or .50BMG is more popular in the U.S… I am biased, but one thing would be certain, nobody has a commemorative .300BLK headstamp. I emailed OATH ammo to ask about the potential of it in terms of cost.

A small lot could be allocated to every show with a good IAA turn out, to be sold locally. There could be member/non-member pricing.
I personally would love to see something like a .32-70 USN show dummy.

My membership is so new I don’t have access yet, so I didn’t vote. However, as a Canadian I suspect this commemorative cartridge would be out of my reach no matter what. I love the idea, if the export laws made any sense whatsoever.

[quote=“RayMeketa”]210 views and only 21 votes. That should tell you something.

Ray[/quote]

Anyone remember the 100th anniv 30-06 commemorative rounds?
Headstamp was W.R.A. 30-06 with the information engraved on the side.
IIRC Dave Call was selling them at SLICS that year.
Anyway, would something along that line be more feasible / less expensive to produce?

jonnyc

WOULD YOU LIKE THE RIMLESS OF RIMMED VERISION? THE RIMMED IS BY FAR THE RAREST OF THE TWO.

Either! Both!

I have had both the 32-70’s made previously as replica’s. (different shoulder angles). I also have a CNC engraving machine so I can “headstamp” them with anything (within reason), I could organize this if there is enough interest.

I think that it would be great. I kinda like the 6.5 Grendel idea. -Ger

I would think making the commemorative as a modern caliber that anyone can find anytime they want one would be somewhat of a wasted opportunity. A replicated rare case type would be more interesting, I would think.

I collect auto pistol cartridges, so I think along those lines. I am talking about rounds like the .41 Colt Auto, the 8.5 Mars, the .45 Ross (only 50 rounds ever made) and the like. Those are just examples off the top of my head. I am sure there are CF Rifle and revolver rounds of the same ilk. The headstamp and the manufacturing characteristics would separate them, likely, from the originals, so as not to encourage faking of originals with them.

I would love to see Will handle the project. His work with honest, well identified replica cartridges is outstanding, to say the least.

JMHO

I had only thrown the 6.5 Grendel out as an example (6.5 = 65 yrs), but something exotic would be sweet too, even a replica.

I am glad this possible project was brought up with some time for a thought process and inquiries to happen with others. This makes it truly a “community effort”.

Personally, an exotic replica sounds like a neat possibility too. As long as everything is relatively feasable, this project should be a nice keepsake!

-Dave

Back in 1983 we had the we were offered a Commemorative Dummy .416 Rigby with the headstamp ICCA 1983 416 RIGBY . At the time finding a 416 Rigby cartridge was not very common. I was delighted to order one to have an example of the .416 Rigby for my collection. I think that a dummy round of a rare cartridge would have a lot of appeal.