An interesting box of Romainia 9mmP by CMC

This box came partially filled with rounds headstamped “CMC 9L”. I didn’t see one exactly like it in Lew’s book, so I thought I would share. The inked out line at the very bottom of the box top reads “1942”. As you can see, it has been re-stamped “Lg44”. I found it very interesting that the label specifically calls out the “Schmeisser” sub machinegun. The two examples in Lew’s book show the re-use of German boxes, this one does not.

What a great box label! I don’t recall ever seeing this one before. All Romanian 9 mm box labels seem scarce.

Wonderful box! Many Thanks!

What is the stamp in the top right? It looks like “LOT 31 ??51”

Is the "1942 printed or is it stamped?

Cheers,
Lew

The box also mentions the native Orita SMG too. Jack

Lew,

The 1942 was clearly printed on the label. It has a similar style font to the rest of the label.

The ink stamp in upper right looks like “Lot No 51” to me. It is tough to see.

I am traveling and will look closely when I get home. I’ll let you know what I see.

Thanks,
Dave

• @ dak21: The correct translation of the label from Romanian into English is:
    50 rounds
    Parabellum
    Cal. 9 x 19
    For the “Orita” and “MP-40” submachine gun
    C.M.C - Cugir
    The Romanians used to call the 9mm Luger / Parabelum round (9 x 19) “9 m/m LUNG” (in Romanian language “lung” means “long”) in order to show the difference from the 9mm Kurz (Short) cartridge which is 9 x 17. The 9mm Kurz (Short) cartridge 9 x 17 was called in Romania “9mm Scurt” (in Romanian language “scurt” means “short”).
    The Romanian made 9mm ORITA M1941 SMG was the initial design but after the end of WW2 the remaining weapons were modified and renamed “9mm Orita M1941/48”. “Schmeisser” is of course the German “MP-40” submachine gun.
    “C.M.C.” stands for “Copsa-Mica Cugir”, the WW2 Romanian military plants located in Transylvania in the towns of “Copsa-Mica” and “Cugir”.
    Liviu 09/12/13 P.S. The impressed hedstamp markings for a WW2 Romanian made 9 x 19 round (“9 m/m Lung”) are: “CMC” over “9L”. The impressed headstamp markings for a WW2 Romanian made 9 x 17 round (“9 m/m Scurt”) are: “CMC” over “9”. Note the difference between “9L” and “9”. P.P.S. I wish I could have a WW2 Romanian made ammo box like this (empty) !!!

Liviu, was the MP40 called “Schmeisser” in Romania? I’m asking because this was/is a common misname for this smg which was actually designed by Heinrich Vollmer and not Hugo Schmeisser. In opposite case, this would be a reference to the MP28/II.

• @ Fede: All the WW2 veterans from Romania used to call the “MP-40” (the German made submachine gun) the “Daimler Puch”. Most of the Romanians would twist their tongue saying “Schmeisser”, I know that for a fact. Liviu 09/12/13

WW2 German Documents Online

I am not surprised that the gun was called the “Daimler Puch” by some. I have not handled many MP-40s, perhaps seven or eight and all Dewats except for two, but more than half of those I have were made by Steyr Daimler Puch in Austria.

• @ JohnMoss: During the early 1950s about 5 or 6 former Romanian citizens who had been members of the German Army (during WW2) were convinced to return to Romania to fight the communist regime. They all were parachuted in Romania with plenty of military equipment, including the German made “MP-40” submachine gun. Their mission was ill prepared and doomed from the start and it had a tragic fate: one of them died and the rest were captured, sentenced to death and executed by firing squad within 24 hours. Later during the early 1970s, I remember reading in a Romanian magazine an article about those 5 or 6 guys, one guy’s name was definitely “Saplacan”. There were also a few pictures with that article and one of the photos was showing one “MP-40” submachine gun with a few extra 32-rds magazines, weapon which had been issued to those unfortunate guys. Even in that article the “MP-40” submachine gun was clearly called “Daimler Puch”. Liviu 09/12/13

Interesting. Once again, because of thenumber of these MP-40s that were made by Steyr Daimler Puch, that doesn’t surprise me at all, even though this is the first time I have heard it. If someone originally knoew that Steyr made large quantities of these guns (they were all coded as to manufacturer) and called it that, it could easily become a common expression for them regardless of which factory made them. Kind of like always calling a K98k a “Mauser” even though many factories other than Mauser made them (yes - it was a Mauser-owned design, so perhaps my analogy is not quite accurate, but I guess it makes the point).

• @ JohnMoss: During the WW2 years the Romanian soldiers fighting the Soviet Army on the Eastern Front nicknamed the Russian made 7.62mm PPSh-41 submachine gun the “balalaika” (especially when the weapon used the 71-rds drum magazine). For those who don’t know, “balalaika” is a Russian stringed instrument, it may look like a guitar but it has a triangular body. Liviu 09/13/13