Another .30-06 dummy

In the .30-06 book by Chris Punnett he shows a M2 Dummy by Frankford Arsenal (page 261) which has a deep knurled cannelure on the neck of the bullet case. This round has a smooth cannelure and is very deep. My question is who made this, and was it for their use, or contracted for another country…thanks again… paul.

This also has the look of a dummy made up by, or for the British Home Guard most of whom were issued with US made rifles, at least in the early years of the war. The ammunition supplied by the US is most often with dates between 1928 and 1933.

Given that a lot of the Home Guard officers were 1914-18 veterans there was an understandable emphasis on drill, especially as there was rarely anything active for the Home Guard to do … and that ammunition was limited in quantity, it’s not surprising that there were many dummies, probably produced locally which don’t conform to a regular pattern … they just had to be serviceable.

I’ve got 15 of these expedient dummies, all very different and I know that there are many others … it’s a wee collection on its own.

Pete

Hi Pete… yes I understand what you are saying but looking at the cartridge I think that would have taken some sort of engineering machine to produce a cannelure like that on the case neck. Also if they took the trouble to set it all up, they would have made many more, So there must be more out there somewhere. …paul

The scale of the Home Guard was vast, there were over 1,5 million enlisted as volunteers when it was set up and 500,000 M’17 rifles were bought from the US to arm as many as possible with a modern weapon. Most of my reference material is currently packed away but I lifted this from the Wikipedia page on the subject;

“By the end of 1940, the Home Guard was established into 1,200 battalions, 5,000 companies and 25,000 platoons. For its primary defensive role, each section was trained and equipped to operate as a single, largely independent ‘battle platoon’, with an operational establishment of between 25 and 30 men at any one time although, as volunteers would also have full-time jobs, the numbers of volunteers in each section would be around twice that establishment.”

Each platoon would have needed at least 300 dummies to equip every member with a full 5 round charger, but these units were densely packed, even in rural areas and co-operated with their neighbours both in training and strategy, so I’ll wager than one unit with access to the required machine tools would make dummies for other groups locally.

As for the groove, a competent machinist could knock up a collet to hold the cartridge in a lathe chuck and use rollers or a hardened wheel in a knurling tool to swage the groove … even a home machine set-up would easily accomplish this.

Pete