Another .303 Britt ammo question

While looking for more .303 with Russian bullets I found many with a W.I mark. What does this mark represent?
Thank you.

W.I should be an AP. Also indicated by the green PA.

Perhaps a little more specifically the “W” is the code for AP & "I "would be a MK I, A.P.

The “Z” is noting nitrocellulose powder was used and not the normal Cordite.

https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/home is an excellent site where the various British military letter codes (and annulus colors) can be found and are fully explained.

Specifically, there is NO “I” Code for Incendiary…the Incendiary Code for .303 is “B” (Buckingham, WWI)

The Code “W I” is AP, W Mark I ( as in Mark One); Ie, Cartridge .303, Armour Pierciing, Mark W I.

The First Cartridges are SR (Spennymoor) Mark VIII (8): Boat-tailed 175 grain Ball, for Vickers MG use. The Other is R^L Royal Laboratories (Woolwich Arsenal, London) also Mark 8;

Second row: R^L W I (AP); DAC^ Dominion Arsenals, Canada, Mark W I;

Third Row: K1938 and K1941, Kynoch, Witton; Armour Piecing, Mark W I:

All six cartridges are Loaded to “Air Service” Quality. ( four digit Year Dates).

BY 1944, the distinction between Land Service and Air Service, had disappeared (Improvement in Quality, and reduced need for Air Quality .303 Ammo as fighters had Up-gunned to 20mm).

Codes for Mark VII and VIII .303 Ammo:
Ball, No letter code;
G Tracer
B Incendiary
W Armour Piercing
F Semi-armour Piercing (non-hardened steel core, Restricted to South African production);
O Observation
D Drill
T Black Powder
Q Proof
H Grenade Launcher
L Blank
There are several, rarer types, such as Explosive, Inspector’s, and Reduced Charge (? Letters).
z or Z: Use of Nitrocellulose (single Based, Tubular Powder) rather than Cordite (double Based strands)

Doc AV

Specifically, there is NO “I” Code for Incendiary…the Incendiary Code for .303 is “B” (Buckingham, WWI)

The Code “W I” is AP, W Mark I ( as in Mark One); Ie, Cartridge .303, Armour Pierciing, Mark W I.

The First Cartridges are SR (Spennymoor) Mark VIII (8): Boat-tailed 175 grain Ball, for Vickers MG use. The Other is R^L Royal Laboratories (Woolwich Arsenal, London) also Mark 8;

Second row: R^L W I (AP); DAC^ Dominion Arsenals, Canada, Mark W I;

Third Row: K1938 and K1941, Kynoch, Witton; Armour Piecing, Mark W I:

All six cartridges are Loaded to “Air Service” Quality. ( four digit Year Dates).

BY 1944, the distinction between Land Service and Air Service, had disappeared (Improvement in Quality, and reduced need for Air Quality .303 Ammo as fighters had Up-gunned to 20mm).

Codes for Mark VII and VIII .303 Ammo:
Ball, No letter code;
G Tracer
B Incendiary
W Armour Piercing
F Semi-armour Piercing (non-hardened steel core, Restricted to South African production);
O Observation
D Drill
T Black Powder
Q Proof
H Grenade Launcher
L Blank
There are several, rarer types, such as Explosive, Inspector’s, and Reduced Charge (? Letters).
z or Z: Use of Nitrocellulose (single Based, Tubular Powder) rather than Cordite (double Based strands)

Doc AV

Thank you so much for the info on the W.I marking. What threw me was the “I” being a Roman numeral One or was it a “l” (L) as both we marked on the samples I posted?
There are many Tracers,Incendiary,AP and Ball types in the ammo pile I have yet to go through. Who knows what may turn up?
Thank you for the link on the ammo types.