Another 6.5 carcano

The ctge on the right is a common short range ctge (hstp is FP B-26) with small flat tip and weights 17.85 g
The green painting is on 2/3 of the bullet from the tip

The ctge on the left (hstp is LN C-26) has also a small flat tip
and weights also 17.85 g
But there is a brown painting on the whole bullet and the neck

A regular 6.5 ctge weighting 22.45 g and having not the flat nose tip, I am sure this ctge is also a short range.

But I didn’t know this model

Any info ?
Thanks
JP

JP,
is the brown stuff on the bullet on the left paint or grease?

The green stuff on the standard short range cartridges is a kind of special grease, not paint.

If it is grease, I don’t know. I have seen many of these short range cartridges, with or without grease, but it is usually green like the cartridge on the left, covering the whole bullet or just a portion.

Pivi
it looks thicker than the common green vernis

jp

A CESIM forum member wrote that he saw several of those “brown” short range cartridges. He wrote that they haven’t got any special feature, the brown grease is simply the result of time and moisture.

thanks Pivi

Did you get some info on the other carcano?
jp

JP,
no, I post the link to your thread but no sure answer yet.

Anyway, some strange carcano appeared as relics in WWII battlefields, for example a tracer one loaded with the Swedish tracer bullet.
It seems that some experiments took place during that period or they used any available component to produce special purpose cartridges, maybe your round is the result of one of those experiments.
very strange bullet.

Too well done to be a self-made AP bullet

I have a strange carcano round too, found in a WWI battlefield. According to me it could be a self-made blank, since it was full of black powder and a paper plug in the neck.

hello
question for PIVI
the 6.5 carcano AP bullet is tombac ? if yes a soldier could cut it for improve the performances ? (i see 7.62x39, 7.62x54 and other calibers with exposed AP core)

Ammogun, the AP Carcano has a CN steel jacket with a long cylindrical portion.

JP’s sample is too late for being a modified,official AP Carcano round, this variation was made during WWI only, as far as is known.

Anyway they could have used AP bullets from other countries or made AP bullets experimentally or to cover a special need during WWII ( for use in the old 6.5 mm machine guns, for example) , like the tracers found with swedish bullets made or loaded during WWII.

No OFFICIAL Carcano AP round is known from the WWII period or with that odd bullet.