Another German shotgun shell

Here is another German made shell and I’ve been able to research a little about it. I know it was made by GECO, likely in Durlach, Germany prior to WWII but what interest me the most is that the cup is steel, as is the primer. They both react very strongly to a magnet. The case is paper and it has a roll crimp with a pink topwad (3 1/2 mm) Can anyone educate me on why and when this steel cupped shell was made?

Top wads - little summary from IAA forum

Hi Shotmeister.

Here are some more of the same type!

As you can see the top wads correspond with the headstamps.

To your question, WHY STEEL?
These are wartime production shotshells, They used the steel for shotshells so the brass could be used for military rounds.
I know of RWS Normal cases also but never found one myself.

Regards rené

Thank you Rene’. I thought they might be wartime production but wasn’t at all certain.

You’re welcome.
I also have a 16 ga RWS 16 headstamped case. Just like yours in my collection.
Only the case is some sort of faded green.

René

René, this 1939 production has a brass plated steel base.

It was made for the German air force.

Rgds

Hello Dutch,

I have a similar case but with a W on the headstamp.
As far as I know there are other letters.
But do not know which ones and also the meaning of them.

regards rené

René, the letters that I’m aware are A (unknown), D (G.G.&Co. Durlach), E (unknown), R (Rottweil) and W (Walsrode). These are all Luftwaffe contract cartridges for the Sauer & Sohn M. 30 drilling (12-70/9.3x74R).

Edit: Sorry, these are not for the drilling but clay shooting cartridges for the “Doppelflinte der Luftwaffe”. Also, the drilling was 12-65/9.3x74R.

Could someone please translate line 8 (I think) from the drawing above. Does this shell have a steel liner in the bottom 3rd of the shell?

After number 12 it says “Stahl Doppelboden” which would be translated as “steel double base”. Number 8 says “Pappeinlage” which means “cardboard insert”.

Clay shooting was officially part of fighter pilots training.

Hi Fede,

Many thanks for the explanation of the letters.

René

René, it may be already obvious, but there are also five different boxes matching these letters!

Do you know why it is written “Normal” on the headstamp?
thanks
JP

JP, the word “Normal” indicates a “Normalisiert-Jagdschrotpatrone” (standarized shotshell). The cartridges with a tan paper body started to be made in September 1943.

Fede,
This is the problem.
Because what were called Normalisiert-Jagdschrotpatrone" were the shotshells following the Stuttgart dimensions and this was the fact in Germany as soon as the early twenties.
Therefore I don’t understand why they wrotte that so late.
All the german rounds were at this standard for a long time.

Furthermore in the pre war german commercial catalogues I have (GG, Gecado, Rws and so on) there is no mention of such an hstp

jp

JP, as I remember this was discussed before and in my opinion what it was evidently standardized was the cartridge components and not its dimensions, of course.

8-pappeinlage: is something like paper inlay.