Another odd round on eBay (20mm)

I found this on eBay earlier. What is it?

Item description says: “I HAVE REMOVED THE BULLET FROM THE BASE AND FOUND JUST 3 MARKINGS WHAT ARE SET AT 120 DEGREES FROM EACH OTHER. MARKINGS ARE C - 4 - 7”

I have never seen this case type before.

Although he says it is “approx 6 inches tall with base”. So he could well have measured the base to get the measurement of 20mm, and C 4 7 could be L C 4. So it could well be a .50 BMG.

Falcon–I think you are correct that it is .50 BMG. I just measured the base of a .50 BMG and it is 20mm.

It looks like the bullet is not seated all the way. That alone would make it close to 6" OAL. It may be a cigarette lighter.

Ray

Ray, you are right, it is a cigarette lighter according to the description.

It looks like this would have been made from an M10 tracer (orange tip), because it’s easier to remove the tracer filling to give a spot for the lighter mechanism. The “C-4-7” would be a misread “L C 4” (Lake City 44).

The projectile ogive looks wrong, which is one of the things that fooled me into thinking it was something different in the first place. I have seen quite a few things like this with turned copper or brass projectiles.