Another shot/mold question

This unmarked mold produces a ball of lead, pictured, which mikes out at approx .35. What type of firearm or cartridge would this have been used in?? I also have a round wooden box of lead balls which are .38 in diameter. Same question for that- what type of firearm or cartridge??
Thanks

This one could have been for any number of ~36-calibre percussion revolvers; this mold also has a built-in sprue cutter, so you could cut the remainders off of the ball after casting. There are really too many possibilities to nail down a specific firearm with either of these.

Its possibly older than cap and ball era but there is no way of saying for sure. That style goes back and back but you can still buy them new like that today.

If it is a genuine .35" its a bit small for a C&B revolver but about right for a m/l squirrel rifle, many of which were .36 and were a mainstay food producing rifle for many, many families right up to the early 1900s

The bad news is you can cancel the order on the new porsche. Its worth about $10 but an interesting historical artifact none the less and a part of a bygone age.

I never knew ML rifles survived that late as a mainstay food producing rifle. Wouldn’t centrefire rook rifles have been widely available by then?

Glad to hear I can cancel the Porche order. With today’s economy I have also decided to put one of the polo ponies down rather than deal with the arthritis; the repairs to slate tile roof are also being postponed.
Thanks, all, for the information. At least some light was shed on the subject.

Well, at least you’ll have something to eat.

In the book Black Powder Gunsmithing by Ralph T Walker he describes growing up in rural Montana in the 1920s where m/l guns were still being used. The reason he implies was cost, cartridge based ammunition in relation to people’s incomes was incredibly expensive.

Also, if you have an old rifle and it still works why buy a new one? Or perhaps you couldn’t afford a new one being just a poor farmer.