Another unknown one

Acquired today was this 6,5x55 Swedish cartridge. It has a brass case with one hole in it and a pointed bullet which I suspect has worked its way slightly out of the case. The headstamp is 2/P/1919/R/ and I was wondering is anyone can tell me who made it, who used it and if the drilled hole is an official one.

Happy collecting,

Peter

I am guessing, but your cartridge may have been made by Raufoss Patronenfabrikker of Raufoss, Norway.

If I am wrong, someone will be along soon to correct me.

Heavyiron

Heavyiron is absolutely correct about who made this. I don’t know, however, if it is an official drill round or not. In favor of that, just going by the photo, would be the stab crimps in the neck. Firstly, I don’t know if that is the norm for this caliber, country and era. Secondly, though, they do not seem to have been pressed out from within at all. When rounds with crimps like this are fired, the crimps tend to take on a flattened look as the bullet that has been crimped in leaves the case. In the picture, they don’t look like I would expect them to in a fired case. Very, very hard to tell from that though.

It may be a locally made “ersatz-dummy round” or something that was done to inert it for a collection. I think it would take a Norwegian collector, or someone with a very good 6.5 x 55m/m collection to tell us.

Peter,

The primer, whilst struck, looks too rounded to have been fired with a charge in front of it. I suspect that a live round has been drilled to let the powder out and then the primer has been struck in a rifle to complete the inerting. A real fired case would show more primer flattening wouldn’t it?

gravelbelly

I can confirm that crimp of this type is used on live rounds. I can post pictures.

Regards Thor

The case is made by Raufoss Patronfabrikk (later Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikker) in Norway second quarter 1919. The stab crimps in the neck are typical for ball rounds of that time. As an official drill round, it should have a fluted case and a red wooden bullet, like this one:

morten