Another what's it? (Bunter +)

Head bunter on left, but what are the other two things?

Middle item is a cartridge holder for the subcaliber devices to convert .30 Browning Machine Guns to .22 caliber. A .22 LR would fit in the back of the holder and they would belt up a bunch for use in a gun that had a modified bolt and .22 barrel installed. Fairly common (at least in the past) and usually a dollar or two item as an oddity.

The item on the right may be a subcaliber cartridge

The item on the right looks like a ‘toy gun’ cartridge(ie,Marusin), some of them are fired by a ‘cap’ in the front forced onto a pin in the mechanism. Is this 2 piece?.
They don’t actually fire a projectile, but a blank with realistic action.

It’s at least 3 pieces. It has a metal disk inside of it that slides, and it unscrews. Don’t remember offhand if it unscrews into 2 or 3 pcs.

Jesse, as mentioned above by Takapu, no. 3 is a 9.5x27 plug-fire cap cartridge unique to a MP40 other smg replicas made by Marushin in Japan.

Please, can you post more pictures of the bunter markings?

Regards,

Fede

The last is a headstamp bunter. Nice find!

Bunter was a throw in off my table as I have had 3-4 in my trays for years. Came out of Lake City scrap

One day I’ll rally the energy to post photos of the 100’s of Remington bunters and matrix (matrices ?) which are the “mother positives” that bunters are made from. Bunters are made in quantities whereas the “mothers” matrix can be singles or handfuls

So I went to a photo file and photo’d some matrix photos as “rare eye candy” Singapore Military Police , BP (Bridgeport). Few others. I guess we should edit the thread title or copy to a bunter thread? I have 100’s and it will be a HUGE effort to photo them and transcribe the numbers ( and I think “dates” ) to the written word. Retirement isn’t too far off. Stay tuned

PS. Those are the wood drawer trays they lived in.

I would start a new thread, since this one starts with some other random stuff.

Pepper,
i recently wrote a post asking about BP and BPE headstamped pistol cartridge from a cartridge collector in Spain.
Link to post is below.

Can you please take photos of any BPE and BP bunters with BP or BPE on them.
My cartridge collecting friend in Spain is trying to gather information on these headstamps per previous post.
Thanks,
Bob R

Jesse and Pepper, thanks a lot for the additional pictures.

Fede

I’ll get to sorting the can of mixed bunters and matrices. Maybe I’ll try photoing the bunters with a mirror image ?

Just how many do you have…? I’d love to see pictures and mirroring them wouldn’t be an issue after the fact.

Pepper,

When you say “retirement” I hope that means then you will be able to do ammunition “full-time”…

Looks like a whole lot of nice items there (even if they don’t have colored tips). The .267 Rem. RF is really neat and I would assume rather rare!

Dave

Hello everyone, my friend Julian Gonzalo Garcia has asked me to insert this post that can clarify many of the existing doubts, in reference to the origin of the rounds marked “BP”, “BPE”, and “PBE”.

Hello
Continuing with the thread between the bunters presented by Pepper. I want to contribute photos of the stamps that I have of different calibers like BP, BPE PBE.
I want to make clear that the origin of all copies is the same, all come from a batch of cartuchería that was pending its destruction, as it is obsolete or in poor condition and its origin is the EIBAR TEST BANK (only official place in Spain for the test of firearms)

I am convinced that the cartridges were manufactured by REM-UMC for the BANCO DE PRUEBAS DE EIBAR and that the significance of the stamp’s age:
P.B.E. = Proof Bank of Eibar
B.P.E. = Banco de Pruebas de Eibar
B.P. = Banco de Pruebas

Mr. Pepper indicates that the BP stamp corresponds to Singapore Militay Police (Bridgeport), so I would appreciate it if it is possible to expand this information because here in Spain we have been debating for many years the origin and destination of said stamps

The origin I think has already been accredited, they were manufactured by REM -UMC, but we still do not have the certainty of the meaning of the stamp or the destination or contract of these cartridges

I attached photos of the hs that I have

Julian Gonzalo Garcia

Somehow I thought the military police was for Shanghai not Singapore.

I believe W.E. Fairbairn (the knife-fighting expert / designer) was the British police chief at the time and wanted these rounds which had a raised Chinese character on the base to help identify police-fired bullets at/in a crime scene.

I believe the BP referral Pepper mentions in regard to the SMP headstamps is a connection to Bridgeport Conn. where REM-UMC was headquartered.
I’m sure he will correct this if I’m incorrect.

Got to admit these BP, BPE & PBE are all new headstamps to me. Very interesting Thanks.

The “SMP” headstamps by Remington were made for the
Shanghai Municipal Police. Nothing to do with any Military
Police Organization. I have a file about 1/2 inch thick on this
organization and its ammo, including a copy of at least one
document with the Shanghai Municipal Police appellation on
the letter head.

There was also a Kynoch contract for .380 Automatic ammunition
for the SMP, but it did not bear those initials, but rather an odd
symbol stamped on the head at the 3 o’clock position. I have one
of these rounds, my only SMP cartridge.

The most famous of the SMP-marked cartridges are those of .45 Auto
caliber. Between 1922 and 28 there were at least 404 Colt .45 Autos
purchased by the SMP. This may not be the total, as the years 1923,
1925, and 1926 are not represented in the total. The 1928 purchase
was for 142 of them, oddly purchased from the French Police.

The .380 cartridges are from Kynoch Order number Z.3369 of September
1935. The handwritten order shows the special mark of a circle with a dot
in the centerto be marked on the base, but my cartridge actually has a
diamond-shape figure with a dot in the center. It is almost certain that this
is one of the 1935 contract cartridges, regardless of the discrepancy of the
shape of the special marking.

See IAA Journal Issue 451,Sep/Oct '06, page 46-47 for more information
on the .380 load and a sketch of the headstamp actually on the cartridge.

See also John Pople-Crump’s article in the IAA Journal Issue 464, Nov/Dec '08,
pages 45 and 46, which indicates that the symbol may have changed yearly,
to act as not only a property mark, but also a date code. Possible figures, as
found in documents, include the aforementioned circle with a dot, the one I have,
a diamond with a dot, and a triangle with a dot or perhaps, from the documentation,
a “a vertical line from the apex to the centre (SIC) of the base line.”

John Moss