Another zinc shotshell

A while ago screwgy introduced many of us to zinc F.N. shells while jeanpierre and poleman educated me a great deal because until then, I had never heard of zinc shotshells! Like many of us I thought only of aluminum so when I found a similar “aluminum shell with a copper base” on Gunbroker I smiled, knowing it was zinc.

The price was right so I bought it and when I got it home discoverd the ‘copper’ was washed steel but indeed it was an American made Alcan empty shell, which had never been fired.

Although Alcan used a lot of imported components in their loadings this one was probably made in the US, even if the zinc tubes may have been provided from Italy or other European outlets. Alcan produced a lot of loading components so it may be that these were never sold as loaded shells but for reloaders. At any rate, I have to give credit to the members of the IAA and those who visit here for enhancing my knowledge of shotgun shells in the past year! It’s been a rush!

What is a quick way to determine the difference between Aluminum and Zinc? They can look very much the same.

Aluminium is more white and shinny than zinc
jp

[quote=“Shotmeister”]
Although Alcan used a lot of imported components in their loadings this one was probably made in the US, even if the zinc tubes may have been provided from Italy or other European outlets. ![/quote]

Regarding Alcan hstps where it is written “Made in”, I know:
Made in Italy
Made in USA
Made in Belgium

That doesn’t mean when it is not marked made in Italy (or blegium) it is manufactured abroad.
Some standard Alcan ctges were manufactured indeed by Fiocchi, SFM, and so on

Regarding your shell , despite the fact it is written made in USA, I think they were made in Belgium because of the zinc tube.
Importing only the tube and crimping it to the copper washed steel base would be a too difficult operation (and furthermore they needed to buy also the bases somewhere, therefore why not to buy the entire ctge)

JP

This one appears to be a hand load with a hand written top wad.