Anti hail rockets

Hi,
Have you ever heard something about anti hail rockets?

Pivi

Hey Pivi

Check this out:
arsenal-bg.com/civilian/lazur/lazur.htm

Rick

Also there are muliplte types of “cloud seeding rockets” (for rain)…one variation (albeit rare) is a “gyro-jet family” (yes MBA) example I would love to add to the collection.

[quote=“Pivi”]Hi,
Have you ever heard something about anti hail rockets?

Pivi[/quote]

There are even Artillery shells for this purpose (at least developed).
Yugoslavia and Moldova used them in their civil wars modified to take HE warheads and all sort of improvized stuff.

Many of the hail suppression activities on the great plains of America will use smaller planes which deploy silver iodide flares to cause rain drops to occur instead of hail stones. It does work.

Hi,
In Italy ,during the 70’s farmers were allowed to use this rocket.There were 2 versions:pictured here is the longer one ( 2000 m max),while in the mountainious areas they used a shorter rocket ( 1500 m max).They were made by SIPE and loaded with 800g of TNT.

The detonator:

Here my grandpa Enzo is going to launch a rocket in 1980 ( sorry for the poor quality of the picture but I had to photograph a photo )

In france too we have this kind of rockets for anti-hail. They are still available but with a lot of paperwork, meaning they are no more for us! (:
The ones I knew were loaded with 500 g of explosive but it was not TNT.
JP

leave it to the Forum…if it’s not torpedos…it’s anti-hail rockets

Using and owning these rockets in Italy nowadays would be absolutely illegal too.They were very dangerous and it was a stupid thing to allow non-expert people to handle and use them.This one I have was unloaded by a SIPE technician 30 years ago.

Pivi

I made some researches and I found that SIPE rockets should be still produced.
However they surely are not for private citizien use.I have found that there were other versions of this basic SIPE anti hail rocket: for 1000,1200,1500,2000 and 2500 m due to the altitude from they were launched and to the cloud type.I have seen the 1500 and 2000 m versions only
I’m wondering if these rockets would be collectible items…

Pivi

Very cool thread and subject Pivi. I would think that these rockets would be super collectible? Do they really work as designed? They really stop hail or create rain? Totally awesome.

Jason

There are 2 types of anti hail rocket:with explosive and with silver iodide load.The first ones seem to be of no effect against hail.They were also very dangerous because if launched without care or very quickly ( as it started to rain you had to run on the hill and launch the rockets as fast as you can )they could take off horizontally.Some of them falled from the sky without exploding.

Is “SIPE” the same company that makes Italian Made shotgun cartridges that are sold in the UK today. What does “SIPE” stand for?

On the rockets, I have never heard of these being used in the UK, I don’t think a UK civillian could have purchased something containing 800g of TNT even in the 1970s 0r 80s

Thanks for e-mailing me that great link Pivi. I am surprised at how many different types their are. I think the one you have is the nicest of the ones pictured on that site. I could not find them at my local Hardware Store of Farm Supply. Bummer!

Jason

[quote=“Pivi”]Hi,
In Italy ,during the 70’s farmers were allowed to use this rocket.There were 2 versions:pictured here is the longer one ( 2000 m max),while in the mountainious areas they used a shorter rocket ( 1500 m max).They were made by SIPE and loaded with 800g of TNT.

[/quote]

Pivi,

How were they ignited for launch, did the farmer light a fuse and run away?

gravelbelly

Falcon
SIPE is for "Societ