Any collectors near Northern Virginia?

I have learned a tremendous amount from the experts here, but still am a total babe in the woods in terms of knowledge. I recently came into ownership of a small cartridge collection (300 or so rounds). But many are waaaaaaay beyond my knowledge or even internet research skills.

If there are any collectors near Northern Virginia, USA I would be happy to bring them over after this lockdown, but in the interim, it would be pictures. I do not want to upset any experts or moderators by this request, so please forgive me in advance.

My thought would be then to post pictures of the more interesting ones, vice flood the forums with stuff that I may not recognize, but is just plain stuff of little interest.

Thank you.

PanzerVI,

Welcome to the Forum!

If you have camera capabilities and can take good resolution photos with good lighting then try posting a few photos here on the Forum of groups of 10 or so cartridges spaced about a half inch apart. I’m sure you will get lots of help here.

Brian

Brian

I thank you for your advice and will do so. I really do appreciate everybody’s expertise, but didn’t want to upset the grognards with bunch of rookie questions. And I am terrible as a photographer. That said, I will try!

Michael

Michael,

People post VERY basic questions here on the Forum all the time.

Also you can use the Forum search function which works really well for finding posts with information on a given subject.

Brian

Yes PanzerVI, we love to see pictures of any types of cartridges, so don’t worry about it! We can always ignore posts that don’t interest us. And who knows, you may have some real gems in there! You won’t know until post some pictures. Put them in small groups and try to get a picture of them laid out next to each other in profile and then a picture of the headstamps on the bottom of the cases.
Joel

Here are some broad photos. I know they are terrible. I know they don’t show headstamps or provide much in terms of dimensions. I did build the background table to be pure white for contrast. The rifle cartridges on the end are standard USGI M2 Ball .30-06. I am starting with the rimfire overall. Then centerfire pistol overall. Then some cartridge boxes (full) with one close-up on the .38 Super. Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

There are at least 200+ rifle rounds, which I will sort tomorrow and post some overall pictures. Most seem to be variants of calibers between 6.5 and .30-06, to include references to 1925 US 30 caliber match ammo. Some large rascals too like .577/450 that I do recognize right away. Several 7.62x39 rounds also.

Regarding the photo with a number of boxes, I can comment on a few:
Bottom row, from left:
.38 Colt Super Automatic cartridges, which are a hotter version of the original .38 ACP. I assume your last two photos show the contents of this box.
Middle: 2 Hungarian boxes of Hungarian M31 military rifle cartridges. The same type was used by Austria under the designation M30 S. (Adoption 1931 and 1930.)
Right: No. 26 primers for Cal. 30 cartridges

Second row from bottom:
.276 Pedersen cartridges as intended for adoption of the first self-loading rifle by the U.S. Army. The rifle designs by Garand and Pedersen competed. Due to intervention by, in my view ill-informed, Gen. MacArthur, the .276 was killed and the Garand, changed to fire the existing .30 caliber cartridge, was adopted as M1.
Middle: Cal. .30 bullets for the cal. .30 M72 Match cartridge. These were dimensionally the same as the heavy, boattailed M1 cartridge, which was adopted in 1925 to replace the older M1906. The M72 bullets were much later also used in the 7.62 NATO M118 sniper cartridge.
Right: 7.65 mm long cartridges for the French pistols (and later submachine-guns) adopted between WW1 and WW2. These cartridges originate from the U.S. cal. 30 M1918 “pistol” cartridges, which in reality were planned to be used wih the secret “Pedersen device” to turn a M1903 rifle into a short range weapon capable of semiautomatic fire. (The same designer Pedersen as mentioned above with the later .276 cartridge.)
Apart from the leftmost box in the next row, I cannot really comment on the others. This box contains cartridges for the British .455 Webley automatic pistol, mostly used in the Royal Navy (WW1). Because the British Army used a revolver firing a very different .455 Webley round, the rubber-stamped text was deemed necessary.

Good evening Tiger I and welcome back.
It seems you have some nice cartridges. In case of problems, I suppose they’re all identifiable without that much difficulty. Just a good picture of headstamp and cartridge. Northern Virginia? This Forum is the whole world. And no one here will pick up his nose for your stuff.

Nice collection in my opinion.

Below is my attempt to ID some of the cartridges.

The .38 Colt Super box is a WWII military contract with Remington Arms (R.A.) and is not very common.
0.38 Colt Super WW2 U.S.pdf (1.9 MB)

Brian

1 Like

Yes, that tiny paper shotshell is kind of a riddle without knowing the headstamp. They were made in all kind of dimensions and colours by, of course, a lot of manufacturers. France, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland…

1 Like

Thank you all above. Very helpful. I have to do my part…I will be sitting down with my wife this morning and having her hold rounds in tweezers and trying to get good shots of the headstamps of the cartridges above. I know the more information I can provide, the more you are able to help. So the rifle rounds may not get posted till tomorrow. (BTW I love the concept of using the graph paper as a background for scale.)

Push them into a cardboard box so that the head is flat against the cardboard. The round will stay still and be in focus that way. You can do several at a time. Or line several side by side on top of a box/book etc and take a photo.

Mayhem…thanks for the suggestion. Was just trying to see if I had some small cartridge boxes to work like that. In the interim, I did get headstamp test shots of two of the above. The left most cartridge in line 2, labeled ??? by BDGreen and the two paper shells on the left in line 3, possibly 9mm shotshells according to BDGreen.IMG_2734 IMG_2735

1 Like

Greetings PanzerVI

I agree with Brian the first Rimfire in row 1 is a 22 Long Rifle. It’s hard to tell if the following ones are 25 Stevens shorts with out dimensions. To me they look like they could be 22 Winchester Autos or 22 Remington Autos (the rounded bullet leads me more toward 22 Rem Auto). The Rim Diameter of a 22 Win Auto is about 0.310" and a Rem Auto is 0.290". The 25 Stevens short has a 0.330" rim.

The small shot shell in row 2 looks like a 6mm Flobert Single Charge Shot. The MGM headstamp is by the French company " Manufacture Generale de Munitions".

The shot shells in row 3 are 9mm Floberts from Winchester.

Paul

And a caliper (as Rimfire maybe suggests) could be extremely useful too. If you don’t have one, do not buy a $100 piece. Even a digital one of $10-15 is good enough.

In the photo with the blue post-it notes, the one 4th from the left in row 5 appears to be an M7 Auxiliary Grenade Cartridge. See this thread for more details: M7 Auxiliary Grenade Cartridges

Sat down to take headstamp pictures of the cartridges in the top 3 rows. So Row 1 is at the top with the blue post it note. This is the single cartridge on far left. No discernible HS.

Still row 1, the next three rounds (25 ACP) all had this same headstamp

Still in Row 1 (and now consolidating posts on a by row basis…my eyes are bad and I had grouped the rounds into two groups of 3…wrong. The left most five rounds had this HS EC over 43.

Then the sixth and final cartridge to finish out row 1 had this headstamp FA over 41