Anybody know the maker?

Does anybody know the maker of this cardboard container?

Sorry it is hard to read but it has taken me some time to get it unfolded as best as I can for now.

Thanks,

Hi Mike,

I don’t know who is the maker, but the old word kügerl -instead of kugeln- was used by Bavarian makers during the 1870’s. Number “7” indicate the ball diameter and, given the date of this box, would match the old standard of 24 numbers where “7” correspond to 4.43 mm.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Hi Fede,

Thanks for the reply, I did pick up on the old German but did not know the area it came from. Have you noticed how they spelt “pressed” too. The date is much earlier than I was thinking so that is a better find than I thought.
I will get out a Vernier or mic tomorrow and check the diameter of the balls.

Many thanks for the information.

Regards,
Mike.

Another jigsaw piece: maybe this could be for indoor use as the label mentions “Zimmers…tzen”. Indoorshooting was very popular in Germany, wasn’t it?

They are a particular German Air gun caliber…RWS still makes a whole range from 4.4 up to 5.5
My Haenel K98k trainer uses the 4.45mm pellets, not .177 ".
Doc AV

As to the diameter, I have checked 4 of them and they all measure a very accurate 4.42mm (but of course they are all slightly corroded so they may have lost a little size).

I agree, they are certainly for indoors. The word is “Zimmerstutzenkügerl” as far as I can make out. My German lets me down on this one, I know what the three words mean individually but what the combinded words equate to I am unsure, (“stutzen” has so many meanings/usages!) for what it is worth, my best attempt would be “room stop short ball”. can anybody correct me on that, thanks.

As far as I know, Zimmerstutzen is translated as indoor rifle. And are these ones maybe the modern version?xXnXTpqh

“Kügerl” is the south German (particularly Bavarian) expression for little sphere or ball.
The balls were sold separately, because the shooter decided which diameter gave best results in his Zimmerstutzen.
Today, barrels are much more close in tolerances and fewer people shoot Zimmerstutzen. You find only the ready to use variant shown in the last photo.