AO-62 assault rifle

This weapon has a special recoil operation that can withstand recoil when firing the first three rounds. The AO-62 can be described as a predecessor to the similarly operated H&K G11 and AN-94 Abakan assault rifles.

Source: talks.guns.ru/forum_light_messag … 46993.html

actually, there was design by Winchester during earlier stages of SPIW program that did exactly the same - it has a 3-chamber revolver drum, and fired 3-round bursts at extra-high ROF during single recoil cycle.
Cylinder was reloaded during counter recoil cycle with 3 more rounds.

I believe it was overly complicated and heavy, and thus soon dropped out of competition.

By the way, i was told by the “persons who know” that AN-94 was officially declared obsolete in Russian army service in 2005, following production problems and increasing production costs.

I’m not that surprised on that, as i’ve always seen the AN-94 as an abomination unto the rifle ;)

That’s interesting, Max, given the amount of work that has been poured into the AN-94; I agree with you that the system is needlessly complicated, though, and I think that they would have been better off going with a counter-recoilling piston design like the AEK-971 or the AK-107/108; you can see the AEK-971 being fired at youtube.com/watch?v=gOozMdEV_AU , and it shows what I consider to be an AMAZING lack of muzzle climb in burst fire.

The AEK-971 is in service with Russian special forces (at least with OMON) - in opposite to the AN-94 which hasn’t been seen in service as far as I have observed. Max may tell us more.

AEK-971 indeed is in service with MVD and FSB troops on limited basis
It was produced in small batches up until 2006, when Kovrov machine building plant has closed its military products line. All machinery, drawings and toolong was transferred to ZID (Degtyarov plant) in the same city, but i was told that they will not resume production of AEK-971 unless they will receive large orders for it
similar AK-107 / 108 appears to be dead by now, as it never went past several prototypes and is now withdrawn from Izhmash catalogs

AN-94 was issued to certain military units, but severe production problems and raising cost issues limited in cease of its procurement

[quote=“mpopenker”]actually, there was design by Winchester during earlier stages of SPIW program that did exactly the same - it has a 3-chamber revolver drum, and fired 3-round bursts at extra-high ROF during single recoil cycle.
[/quote]

The Winchester SPIW used a differential recoil mechanism. The design you are describing sounds like one of the Dual Cycle Rifle prototypes from the 1970s.

[quote=“Daniel Watters”][quote=“mpopenker”]actually, there was design by Winchester during earlier stages of SPIW program that did exactly the same - it has a 3-chamber revolver drum, and fired 3-round bursts at extra-high ROF during single recoil cycle.
[/quote]

The Winchester SPIW used a differential recoil mechanism. The design you are describing sounds like one of the Dual Cycle Rifle prototypes from the 1970s.[/quote]

You’re right, Daniel, my memory failed me on this
I was meaning the patent, filed in 1965 by Johnson for Winchester-Olin, US 3,410,175
this has no revolving cylinder, just soft recoil like the AN-94