APFSDS Sub-Projectile Stand Project

I just finished making this stand for a British 120MM L23A1 APFSDS sub-projectile dart. I bought this dart from a British Vet who was a Tank Commander that served in Iraq during Desert Storm. Apparently, it fell off of his mantel and broke the toe of one of his young kids so his wife made him sell it. It took me a few days to create this wood stand but it was pretty easy. Gotta love Home Depot projects.

Jason

Photo of an unfired L23A1 with sabot. (Not Mine)

I have been working wood (woodworking) for a LONG time.

You may remember my wood M865 TPCSDS-T 120mm Cartridge case?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8352

Anyway, I have NEVER thought of using escutcheon plates in my woodworking. I really like the idea. I may have to “borrow” it. :>)

Thanks big time! Any wood worker with your skills adopting one of my ideas is a major complement. That M865 you made goes way past incredible!

Jason
PS: What are “escutcheon plates”? :-)

Well, they look like escutcheon plates to me. Perhaps it is a terminology thing.

I assumed the metal bases you put at the bottom of the supports were escutcheon plates - the technical term for the metal plates used around pipes when the plumber cuts too large of a hole in the wall?

P.S.
Thanks for the compliments on the M865. I must confess. I do have a fun time telling the whole story, when I display the round.

You are correct! I walked every isle in Home Depot (my favorite store on earth) looking for a cool way to cover the point of attachment for the 1 1/4" oak dowels. I found a few varieties of escutcheon plates in the pluming section with different profiles and finishes to choose from as well as different opening sizes. I also pondered using these cool door stops that get screwed to a wall or floor to keep a door from banging into the wall. These had a rubber insert that would have had to be removed, but were also very cool ,and a little beefier.

Jason
PS. No words to describe how awesome that M865 TPCSDS-T display you made is. Pure craftsmanship!
PSS: I can’t wait to use the term, “ESCUTCHEON PLATES”, in the wild.

Use caution!
Some folks don’t know what their “real” name is.
:>)