APG 7.65 x 53 Mauser draw set

This is a very rare sectioned draw set of the 7.65 x 53 Mauser case and M/91S bullet made on Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik Karksuhe machinery at the Arsenal Principal de Guerra, Buenos Aires. Complete headstamp reads APG o 1902 o FYA o. Some stages are missing and it was evidently prepared to be displayed on a board.

That makes the Argentinian production contemporaneous with German adoption of their own “S” projectile. In fact, except for the final diameter, the Argentinan projectile is identical in shape and mass as the German one…thus DWM had only to make minor adjustments to tooling design to make a 154 grain( 10 gram) .311 projectile instead of a .323 Projectile of the same mass.

I suppose one could say “good marketing” by the DWM salesmen, along with the “Technical assistance” given to the Republica Argentina in supplying the machinery to make their own cases and bullets…I suppose prior to 1903,
Argentina was fully supplied by DWM (“DM”) with complete ammo in the original M91 design (RN), or had they already started to “assemble” 7,65 RN ammo from German components?
When did Argentina set up its first Nitrocellulose Powder Plant? I think I drove past it ( or its locality), in 1999, when going from Cordoba to Rosario and SantaFe.
I know most of the Ammunition plants have closed down since the Junta was in Power, is there anything left of the once large FM system?

Regards,
Doc AV

Argentina bought “S” bullets since 1904 but these were not widely used until the adoption of the Mauser 1909 and ulterior conversion of Mauser 1891 and Maxim machine guns. These APG 1902 cases can be found with both M91 a “S” bullets but it is assumed that the last ones were loaded on a later date.

The DM-K machinery was bought in 1892 but the first Argentine rounds were made on July 1895 and production lasted until 1897 (headstamps AG 95, 96 and 97). The first equipment for the manufacture of smokeless powder wad delivered by Fried. Krupp Grusonwerk AG Magdeburg on May 1896.

Including Fábrica Militar Fray Luis Beltrán, other plants still existing are Fábrica Militar Azul (powders and explosives; established 1953), Fábrica Militar Villa María (powder and explosives; established 1937) and Fábrica Militar Río Tercero (artillery ammunition; established 1936). The long list of closed plants of the DGFM structure includes Fábrica Militar San Martín (optics, comunications, components for combat vehicles and train wagons), Fábrica Militar de Armas Portátiles Domingo Matheu (small arms), Fábrica Militar San Francisco (small arms ammunition), Fábrica Militar de Vainas y Conductores Eléctricos ECA (brass, cups for ammunition cases and electric conductors), Fábrica Militar de Tolueno Sintético (TNT), Fábrica Militar de Ácido Sulfúrico (sulphuric acid), Fábrica Militar de Materiales Pirotécnicos (flares and signals) and Fábrica Militar José de la Quintana (powders).

So, Fede, does that headstamp exist on loaded rounds? You imply that, but I have never seen or heard of it before. Thanks for posting.

Jonny, yes, it exists in two lettering sizes in both M91 an S loads. The first ones are quite rare but we still have some of the “S” at AACAM. I’ll keep one for you and bring it to next SLICS, if I’m lucky to be there.

There are also rare blanks and dummies in both models.

I hope to see you there!

Jonny, here is another seldom seen 7.65 x 53 mm Mauser headstamp made by Arsenal Esteban de Luca (there is also a variation using two clearly marked hexagrams). APG name changed to AEL on May 10th, 1917 and this headstamp was first used on .38 Long Colt (Army) cartridges made in 1919.

Bring extras!