Are these typical soft point hunting projectiles?

So I have a 7.92x57 and a .303 British that both have projectiles that don’t appear to be original. I have asked on the Facebook groups, but figured I’d ask here for more confirmation. Pretty certain they are just old reloads, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I just want to be sure of what exactly the projectiles are (already have ID on the cases). They are both highly magnetic and have strange tips.

Side-by-side:

7.92x57:

.303:

Headstamps:

I’d say yes to your question
the Cal. .30 has had the tip severely flattened, could have happened in a numbers of ways but was originally pointed.
The .303" was originally made, as per the headstamp, with a MK VII full patch bullet.
Both might have been commercial re-loads. As a number of companies have obtained either torn down or the reloader tore them down to reload for the hunter or cheap-shooting market.
Are both bullets tight in the case mouth ? no side to side wiggle?

The 7.9x57 is a commercial reload that was sold by Interarms. I don’t know who made this bullet, but they all have this odd soft point.

Regards,

Fede

No wiggle whatsoever. The 7.92 has some rust coral around the casemouth, so that could be contributing.

I knew the projectile doesn’t match the case for the .303, the tip just looked iffy, almost like it had solder around the point, but it’s probably just the plating wearing off.

Oh yeah, 7.9 not cal .30. some days…

The .303"; the plating or gilding metal cladding would not be on the lead, only the bullet jacket. But I think I see what you mean. Is it lead-tipped?

It almost looks like a ball point pen where there is a near-perfect circle of lead in the tip. The plating around the point where the jacket meets the lead appears worn or flaked. I originally thought it could have been a .303 projectile that had the “solder plug,” incendiary I think (not too familiar with .303). But now I believe it’s just a soft point.

Here’s a different view:

The jacket nose has been cut back exposing the aluminum front core of a MKVII .303".

So most likely a homemade soft point?

Or it could be a first pattern MkVI incendiary…and Canada did use a ‘universal’ case with ball headstamp for a time during WW2 for all loads…I does look like it’s been soldered instead of being ‘cut back’ to me.

I don’t think that Canada manufactured MkVI incendiary. Everything I have read states that their first incendiary round was the MkVII. The MkVI did have a small soldered hole very early in production (first pattern) but all were UK made. I also believe that incendiary rounds would have the case mouth crimped into the cannelure, not the three neck crimps shown in the photo.

Defence Industries introduced the universal case in 1943, which had the headstamp 1943 DI Z

I agree that this is a standard MkVII round that has had the jacket ‘ground’ to expose the aluminium tip. The neck crimps also support this. You could always pull the projectile and look at the base.

The normal placement for the solder plug on an incendiary bullet is in the side and below the case mouth, not at the tip.

It dies not appear to have been trimmed / cut at the tip to me as I can’t see tool marks, and it looks to be turned over to form the tip. Plus it looks nicely done.

Pete, the incendiary Mayhem was referring to (Mk VI Incendiary) did indeed have a soldered tip, but like he also said, Canada did not produce Mk VI Inc. As for soft point reloads, it doesn’t have the typical lead flashing.

Again, this projectile is HIGHLY magnetic, especially at the tip.
I’m still up in the air on this one. Gonna research a little bit more.

hello
for the “soft point” you can obtain this resultat by dropping a “perfectly” pointed soft point on the floor
if the lead is well soft the tip flat at impact with the floor

i had few of these damaged by dropping on the floor

Referring to the 7.9? Yes, you’re absolutely right. Fede pointed out Interarms sold these commercially and all examples have the weird cylinder.

As for the .303, I’m not entirely convinced it’s a standard soft point.

For what ever it’s worth, here is a British “B MK VI Z” which is also headstamped “R /|\ L 1940”, The bullet is only slightly magnetic at the very tip but starting from about 1/4 inch down it gets much stronger.
It has a segmented mouth crimp.

As perhaps a helpful hint? Using magnets of different strengths may allow you to get different impressions.

Any how the very tip & no idea why the jacket went white and a profile.
B%20MK%20VI%20Z%20very%20tipB%20MK%20V%20I%20Z%20bullet

Canadian WWII .303’ production used CN bullet jackets as well as guilding metal clad steel which would explain why the bt in the OP is magnetic.
The hs of this ctg is a that of a Dominion Arsenal .303" MkVII ball. DA used the load specific British hs ie G tracer W armour piercing etc.
The steel jacket is visible where the GM was removed when the meplat was cut.

Thanks for the picture, I was having trouble finding one. The tip and ogive appear very different to me compared to my example. This and orange’s comment pretty well clarify that there’s probably nothing special about my .303, probably just someone’s homebrew hunting cartridge. I don’t know the prevalence of dum dum cartridges in 1943, but I wouldn’t put money on this one being one.

We can’t win them all haha.

I just noted that these Czechoslovakian cases and bullets were used before in cartridges loaded by Lapua for Interarmco (before Interarms). Bullet model is E315 and weighs 11.3 gr.

Fede, back in the early 80s’ I worked closely with Interarms, (employed by Potomac Arms a block away from their U.S. headquarters in Alexandria, Va.), and I remember one of their gunsmiths telling me that at one point they had taken a large batch of military ammo and “converted” them into hunting ammo by clipping, (or grinding?), the tip of the projectile, and filling the nose with lead.
They looked similar to the one with the flat tip, though I cannot swear them to be one and the same…