Are they all Gaudets please advise?

I was advised that the one with the stamp(DC14 V||)is on the scarce side
I would like to know why?
Sherryl

PS.
The Blanks shown are Mark V| and Mark || should have posituated them differently for recognation.sorry
Sherryl

In the side view image cartridges 1 and 5 (beginning at the left) look like the Gaudet cartridge shown on p. 52 of the Labbett and Mead book. Jack

From the left, 1 and 5 are Mk I (Powder) Canadian Pattern. Both British and Canadian cases were reloaded and sometimes Cordite ball Mk II cases were used, even though these rounds were loaded with black powder.

With the exception of the 2nd cartridge (which I cannot identify), the remainder are Mk II (Smokeless) Canadian Pattern. Again, both British and Canadian cases were reloaded. Additionally, specific cases stamped GP-B (Gallery Practice - Ball) were used.

Source: Tony Edwards - Headstamp Guide .303 British Service Ammunition.

I couldn’t find any reason as to why the use of a 1916 Mk VII case was scarce. Temple states that the Mk II Canadian pattern cartridges were obsolete in 1918, so it may be plausible that they weren’t reloading many recycled WWI cases at that point, so it could be a small number. Only speculation on my part.

Mayhem
Thank you for the info,however I was not refering to one of the 1916 in regard to scarcity but to the
second one on the left with the stamp DC14 V||.Now I have a sales list in front of me from the
late JOHN BELTON now this may mean zilch to you however this Man in these parts of the world
was very well known and respected within the cartridge fraternity he once was also Editor of the
IAA journal for 4 years his general knowledge of cartridges was prodiges british in particular I was
floored a few times regarding that knowledge.
Now here is what he stated about that cartridge in that sales sheet.
(303 BRITISH MINITURE SHORT LIVED D.C.CO. 115GR FN B’T.SHOWN IN THE COMPANYS
CATALOGUE’'15OF 1915 DESIGNED FOR INDOOR GALLERY SHOOTING.
He is listing it as rare in 2013 for 35$ however I heard about this round from someone else
but forgot where
Sherryl

Not sure how I completely misread the DC 14 VII. Does the HS correspond with the second cartridge from the left?

Yes Mayhem it does
Sherryl

The DCCo .303 British Miniature shown in DCCo Catalogue Number 15 appears to be loaded with the same bullet as used in their 32-20 ctg, a lead FN. It also is shown with DCCo 303 L-M hs. The ctg 2 4th pic IMHO is a round ball handload.

Mayhem: Were all mk.I rounds produced with the lowered (compared to .303 standard) shoulder location? I ask the question because the drawing from the B.A. Temple book shown in an earlier thread on gallery practice .303s seems to show a standard .303 case with the heavy neckcrimp immediately above the shoulder rather than as shown in these specimens here (and my single example). Jack

I did notice the difference in the drawings shown in Temple’s book and used Tony Edward’s book (as indicated) to ID those rounds. Tony’s book has photographs of the cartridges, which I rate as being more reliable than drawings when trying to ID anything.

Of the four gallery practice rounds in his book, only two have a case with shoulder set lower than a regular .303 case. These are as follows:

GP1
GP2
Source: Edwards, A.O. (2011). Headstamp Guide: .303 inch British Service Ammunition. p. 29.

Of note only the Canadian pattern rounds were named as Gallery Practice. Other patterns (India and New Zealand) were named Short Range Practice. The Cartridge Short Range Practice .303 inch New Zealand Pattern uses the same case profile as the Canadian Gallery Practice rounds.

So yes - from what I can see in Tony’s book, all Mk I Gallery Practice rounds had the different case profile.

Thank you Mayhem
Sherryl

Thanks; most helpful in sorting these out. Jack