Ares (Slovakia) 9 x 19 colored bullets

Hi, friends!
A couple of days ago a friend of mine (law enforcement officer) showed a strange to me swiss made 9x19 Luger cartridge. The jacket of the bullet is made of blue plastic, and when we cut it with knife a strange alloy appeared beneath it - it seemed to me harder than lead and with more light color, which resembles the color of tin. The headstamps of the cases was: the first cartridge - G.F.L (12 o’clock), 9mm LUGER (6 o’clock); the second one - PPU (12 o’clock), 9mm LUGER (6 o’clock). The weight of the cartridge is 12.34 grams or 190.4 grains. I want to ask is there a possibility that Switzerland make lead-free cartridges and swap lead with tin or other less toxic metal/alloy? Had anyone ever seen cartridges like these? If yes - can I ask for more information about that (bullet weight/material, initial velocity, etc.)?
Here I attach a couple of pictures of that cartridge for clearness:

Take care and have fun!

Iv4o

Could it possibly be a load from the Czech company ARES?

ares-gun.sk/?page=1

That looks like an Ares Loading, as Leon pointed out. I don’t know of any Swiss company that would be using a mixture of non-RUAG headstamps to load 9 mm. There is an “ARES” headstamp, but much of their ammo is reloaded on fired cases, and some of their “New” ammo is on whatever brass is available to them at the moment. There are many, many colors, and I think they have been pictured before on this Forum.

Yes, it’s ARES bullet:
125 gr RNSBBNG

I was recently advised that ARES is in fact a Slovakian company, and not a Czechoslovakian company.

My apologies to all for my misidentification of the origin of the ARES company.

Respectfully,

Leon

They also reuse unfired surplus steel cases, for example 7,62x39 marked bxn during the 70s. Just bullet (and propellant?) replaced.

Hans

Thank you very much for the info, friends!
These are definitely reloaded, because in one box there are different headstamps, as far as I saw - at least PPU and G.F.L. We will try to disassemble one round to see what type of propelant is used and I’ll report on this subject later in this thread.
Thanx for the info and link again!
The Bullet material is already known - approximately 92% lead, 6% antimony, 2% tin.

P.S. I’ve never seen bullets like these!! Pic from ARES website:

What does that plastic jacket due to the bore of your firearm, when it goes whizzing through at 1,000 fps? It seems like it would leave a layer behind that would be hell to clean…

Ares bullets are not plastic in the sense of a Speer Plastic indoor practice bullet, not are they plastic jacketed in the sense of a separately-manufactured plastic jacket. They are machine-case lead bullets of an alloy or 92% lead, 6% Antimony and 2% Tin. The plastic coating is very, very thin, more like a bullet lube. However, the coating is hard, but takes the rifling well. You cannot hardly scratch the plastic coating with your thumbnail, but can shave it with a knife, and it is thinner than a sheet of normal typing paper. The bases of the bullets are not coated.

If any moderators are reading this, I suggest the titled by change to "Ares (Slovakia) 9 x 19 colored bullets"
to better reflect the true identity of the subject matter for future reference. This posting suggesting the change can be deleted as well, once a change is made, as it adds nothing to the subject.

more colored bullets

Nice picture Gyrojet. I like them allready.

Actually my friend - a law enforcement officer said that after firing these cartridges there is almost nothing to be cleaned down the bore. He said that these loads are the most “clean” cartridges that he’d ever fired. He also said that when the bullet passed the bore there is almost no traces of the rifling on it (I suppose because of elastic properties of the jacket material).

Cheers!

Ivo

A very similar looking bullet, in many calibers, is made by Westcasting Premium Grade Projectiles, U16/279 Treasure Rd, Welshpool, WA 6106. I downloaded the test from their website last year, and Google casched they site about 3 days ago, but the site is down now.

I wonder who developed this type of bullet and is selling the machinery?

Are the Westcasting bullets really similar to the ARES?

Lots of references to Westcasting bullets on the reloading forums. Also discussed here at:
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/police-target-loads-projectile-coatings/8330/3&hilit=Australia#p66776

Cheers,

Lew

It appears to be much the same as the remington nyclad. Likely Nylon 11 (Rilsan) coating.