Argentina: 9 mm Parabellum for DAM

This special headstamped 9 mm Parabellum cartridge was made in 1986 by Fábrica Militar “San Francisco”, San Francisco, Córdoba for “División Armamento y Munición de la Policía Federal Argentina”. It’s loaded with an experimental “open jacket” lead core bullet with six slits.

I’m aware of only 3 or 4 surviving specimens.

I bet this headstamp would, if it had gotten around to collectors, become confused with the M DAM M headstamps made in Brazil for the Director of Armaments, Ministry of the Navy!

Its nice to see all these great headstamps - keep them coming - but it has its discouraging side too when one knows that they basically will not be available to most collectors. It is becoming increasingly impossible to even begin to keep up with all the new rounds coming out. They come and go before most of us even know they exist, and it seems that not only every country, but every little agency these days must have its own headstamp. Property control or just plain ego? I don’t know which.

How do you interpret the date of this headstamp. Was it made in 1986, 1998, 0r 2001. If made in 2001, what is the other figure? I guess it would make more sense, since it is so scarce that it was made in one single lot, and hence the lot number is “01” but is the date “86” or “98?”

Great headstamp Fede! I didn’t realize they were that rare.

Cheers,

Lew

I see my question was answered in the opening of the thread. I guess I was so intent on the headstamp picture, I didn’t even see the date in the text. Twenty-five+ years old and I had never even heard of it until now. Thanks for the picture Fede.