Argentine 45 ACP Blank

This is a refurbished blank made from a standard case of 7.62x51.

This was made by the Argentinian firm “Slug”. They were not good for overpressure.

Saludos cordiales,

Sergio

Argentine Waffen Brand Ammunition

SMR, is that buckling at the lower section of the crimp a substitute for the missing case neck the cartridge will rest on in the chamber?

Fede - what can you tell us about the company “Slug?” Is there a catalog for them?

Sergio and John, this company was established in 1989 in the city of Ciudadela, on the west of Greater Buenos Aires (out of capital city). They had a small workshop where they manufactured handgun bullets and also made any kind of custom reloading, including a line of blanks in handguns calibers, 7.62x51 and 12 ga. Also, they manufactured ballistic vests and had a gunstore where they traded several imported products, like Hornady bullets, Starline cases, Dillon reloading equipment and Benelli shotguns.

They didn’t have any catalogs and all of their ads seems to date from the early 1990’s, although I know that they existed well into the 2000’s because I have visited them in 2001. The following is an early ad published on July 1991:

Un saludo grande

Fede

EOD, sorry but I have no data on the cartridge.

Fede, thanks for the photo and information of the company.

Saludos

Sergio

Fede, Does the ad actually say that they manufactured plastic bullets in 9mm??? Would they have loaded them also???

If so, have you a photo of these items?

Were the reloads identified by a primer mark, and if so what mark??

Thanks for the article.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew, the ad mentions that the bullets are presented in plastic boxes like the one shown in the picture.

The reloads made by this company didn’t had primer marks and were not even packed in boxes, just plastic bags with the caliber and bullet weigth indicated with marker. The reason why is that these date from before May 30, 2002, which is when the RENAR implemented a regulation for commercial reloaders. As you know, it required an identifying primer mark and to be packed in cardboard boxes containing no more than 50 rounds. The primer mark identification method and the feasibility of its application during the primer seating operation was proposed by Waffen, one of the commercial reloading companies.

Regards,

Fede

Thanks Fede!

Lew

Fede - do you have any photos of these primer marks? For me, that elevates commercial reloads into collectibles, as they have a unique identifier on the ctg. for the loading factory.

John, I agree, these approved reloads are quite interesting and many of their boxes are very hard to find (wish I had extras for you and Lew). When this started, every reloading company was very worried trying to comply with every RENAR regulation, but when they noticed that this was seldomly controlled they produced cartridges without primer markings and/or packed in boxes without lot number and date.

I haven’t taken pictures of most of these reloads yet, but here you can see an example loaded by a company named “3 Grillitos” (3 Little Crickets). As you can see, this marking is quite similar to the one used for by CBC, but it only consists of two inclined lines. The box does not correspond to this loading.

Regards,

Fede