Article- Fort Detrick Special Operations Division Bioweapons

There is some wild stuff here: nondiscernible bioinoculators and 7.62mm projectiles with anthrax or botulinum toxin. (Not a good idea to section one those!)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002043842_bio23.html

Daniel;

If you’d like to learn more about the Nondiscernable Bioinoculator, a.k.a. Javelin Stabilized Quiet Round, a.k.a. Micromissile Launcher (MML), a.k.a. Tiger’s Claw, a.k.a. TANG (gnat spelled backwards), you can check out three sources:

1. aarclibrary.org/publib/contents/church/contents_church_reports_vol1.htm is a transcript of the Senator Frank Church publice hearings on 16 September 1975 where CIA Director William Colby gave public testimony about the illegal activities at Ft. Detrick’s Special Operations Division (SOD). This public testimony, about 246 pages, provides an excellent overview of the various projects. President Nixon had ordered an end to all U.S. biological and chemical warfare on 25 November 1969 and ordered everthing destroyed, but the CIA and Ft. Detrick’s SOD kept a small quantity (11 grams) of saxitoxin (shellfish toxin), launchers, and lancejets, a.k.a. “poison darts” in storage, first at Ft. Detrick and later in Washington, D.C.

2. U.S. Patent 3,344, 711, which is available at freepatentsonline.com. MBA filed its patent application, number 437,345, on 23 February 1965 for the silenced pistol and ammunition. In 1966, Army personnel doing a routine review of classified patent applications saw reference to dogs in the application – one use of the device was to silence guard dogs – and declassified it. As a result, the patent itself was not classified and in fact was published in the Patent Office Gazette.

3. The Small Arms Review magazine has an excellent article titled A Very Serious Weapon in its March, 1999 issue (Vol. 2 No. 6). by David Harber. David’s article is well-written and is generally accurate, especially the drawings he did of the MBA pistol that fired the little 0.030-inch-diameter lancejet. His drawing of the two-piece stainless cartridge itself is not accurate, but he had never seen one. We’ve corresponded a lot, and he added a ton of material for my book.

This is an extremely interesting story, at least to me, made much better by Mainhardt’s telling during my interviews with him. I have nine pages with lots of cartridge photos on the subject in my book, which will, finally, be done this year.

THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT HAVE THE OLDER ISSUES OF THE “JOURNAL” MAY NOT BE AWARE THAT LONG TIME IAA MEMBER , GERALD YONETZ , WAS HEAD OF THE HARDWARE DEVELOPMENT SECTION OF THE SPECIAL OPERATION DIVISION OF FT. D. FOR MANY YEARS. I AM HIS BIOGRAPHER AND YOU CAN FIND A SHORT BIO OF HIM IN THE “JOURNAL” WHICH I WROTE A YEAR OR TWO BEFORE HE DIED. THE CIA AND US ARMY WOULD NOT PERMIT MORE.

HE WAS A REAL MAN’S MAN.

IN ORDER TO AVOID THE CHURCH COMMITTEE HEARINGS SUBPOENA HE HID OUT IN THE WILDS OF MONTANA (HIS HOME STATE) FOR THREE MONTHS UNTIL THEY WERE OVER.

HE WAS A VERY INTERESTING FRIEND.

If I remember correctly, Dr. Schmitt posted a photo of the flechette and cartridge a couple of years ago.

In the early 90’s, I was given permission to examine 140 boxes of records from the SOD that I’d located in the National Archives. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the money to fly across the country and spend a week or so on the project. I doubt the same access would be granted today. I tried to get the patent wrapper from USPTO. The wrapper contains all documents pertaining to the patent, co-pending applications, correspondence, etc. It was gone! I talked to the lady at the patent office and she said it was the first time she’d ever seen this happen. Sounded very puzzled by it. I’d like to see the photo of Dr. Schmitt and the cartridge. The guys at SOD did work for our defense that will never be made public. Or should it be. Sometimes things need to remain secret.