Artillery shell - Last shot fired in the korean war

Hello, just wondering if someone can help shed some light on this?

I have an artillery shell which my father gave me, which is supposedly the last shot fired in the Korean War. I wanted to find some more info on it, and possibly validate whether it actually is.

It was given to him in 1962 (when he was a teenager) by George Solomon who served in the Korean war (NZ army). George told him it was the last shot fired. The shell case is engraved in English and Korean and is dated 1951. I have no idea of what the Korean translates to.

Anyway, my father was not one to tell tales or make stuff up. In fact, he rubbed a number of antique dealers up the wrong way, for exposing them for bullshit stories, or selling pieces that were not 100% authentic (or fraken pieces). In fact, I didn’t like going with him to antique fairs, as I knew he’d embarrass me by calling people out.

I’m a bit conflicted here. I don’t know enough about the history, but didn’t the Korean war end in 53? Any insight/help is appreciated. I’m a new user, so I can only upload one photo, but I’ll add more details when I get home from work.

Very interesting . It is an Australian made 25Pr case by Finsbury, South Australia.
Did an Aussie fire the last shot??

1 Like

Most likely the last shot for their battery, Battalion, Brigade, etc. In a conflict like that with tens of thousands of combatants from different countries spread over hundreds of miles, nobody has a clue when it comes down to fine details of that sort. For the unit levels they can say, but nobody had that sort of command, control or knowledge of the entire theater. Didn’t then, don’t now.

5 Likes

Makes sense! Thanks for your input.

I’m interested to see what the Korean translation is, might reveal a bit more info.

Exactly my opinion. Nobody could know who or which unit or person fired the last shot in this conflict.
Still it is a nice item to own even if it is biased in the saying this was the last shell casing. Ron.

As the war in Korea ended in 1953 the given date here of 1951 leaves a lot of room as for what the situ of this last shot was.
Like Jeff said, many reasons possible.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me Ron. Who wants to pack up ammo?

2 Likes

Technically, the Korean War did not end at all. To this day, it is simply a truce.

John Moss

2 Likes

Like WW2.

2 Likes

It would appear Australia, in respect of ground forces, only supplied infantry. New Zealand supplied 16th Field Regiment RNZA, who were equipped with 25 Pr. A major engagement for them (at the start) was the Battle of Kapyong (22-25 April, 1951). Between 1951 and 1953 they managed to fire 750,000 rounds of 25Pr.

IOD - I don’t think it really is like WWII. Italy Changed sides after the Allied Invasion, and both Japan and Germany signed instruments of unconditional surrender. That, to me, indicates a technical, as well as a real end to WWII. The Korean War ended in a stalemate and a truce signed at Panmunjom in 1953, with neither North or South Korea, nor UN forces “surrendering.” Basically, the truce was nothing more than a cease-hostilities in place, as the 38th Parallel was simply the front line at the time of the truce, straightened out a bit.

I do not believe that we are technically still in a state of war with Germany, Italy or Japan, while we are in the case of North Korea. It may be the longest truce in history, but it is just a truce, just the same.

John Moss

3 Likes

I think what Alex means is that Germany is now in a “competition” (not “war”) to become as far left as possible in the world. Alex, beware, US is gaining rapidly!!!

1 Like

What I mean is that Germany is in the state of a truce. We have no peace treaties and nobody outside is interested to have these. Including occupational statutes still being in force. Also we have no constitution.

2 Likes

Well, what Alex writes is one way to look at it.
Others see the “2 plus 4 agreement” (East and West Germany on one side, Soviet Union, United States, United Kingdom and France on the other) as the closing of World War 2 in the European theater. While some privileges (in particlular regarding U.S. nuclear weapons on German soil) still exist, I can tell from first hand knowledge this is totally incomparable to the legal privileges the Allies had had previoulsy in the Federal Republic.
I personally hope, the British will keep Senne Training Area forever, because as soon as they leave, 1000 m D-Gallery will be lost.

2 Likes

Head stamp date is 1945??

Although it was Korean, it was still in Chinese, but in Korea it was in Chinese, and it was not until later that the Korean language was created.
Wendy