Artillery shells - free to a good home

I have stubbed my toe for the last time - the following need a good home. I’d prefer to send all to the same location, and the recipient will need to pay for the shipping. These are empty cases.

105mm 6" steel case blank:
Headstamp
105 MM M14 B 1 (the M14 B 1 is overstamped with three 'x’s)
KUC-3-36
Also marked on head in black
105MM
BLANK
HOWITZER
LOT PA-1-8
Marked on side in black
BLANK CHARGE
WEIGHT 2 LBS
105MM HOWITZER
LOT PA-37 23-X
Primer marked
PA-93-6 M1B-A2
3-54
Weight 4 lbs

75 x 405mm recoiless steel case
No headstamp other than a 'B’
Also marked on the head in white
AMM. LOT PA-58-3-X
Primer marked
KOP -7-349
M28B2 1945
Weight 4.5 lbs

75 x 405mm recoiless steel case
Headstamp
75MM, M31A1
LOT-MOF - 1 - 75
Marked on head in white
AMM. LOT MA-1-5
SHELL HE???E21
Primer marked
KOP - 39 - 72
MA782 12-1952
Weight 4.5 lbs

106 x 610MM Recoiless
Headstamp
106MM-M93B1
SIW 21-12 1953
Marked on the head in white
AMM. LOT ???
CTG HE ???
RIFLE M4
The primer has been unscrewed and is missing from this one.
Red painted band at the neck and yellow painted band at the base.
Weight 9.75 lbs

Guy–I’ll take them if they are still available.

Ron Merchant
1023 Hickory St.
Lansing, MI 48912

Ph-(517-267-1980

Guy

I’m sure you’ll get some takers.

But if not, put them out on the curb and video-tape what happens. Send me your address and number when you get to Leavenworth and Ill send you some Cristmas cookies.

:) :) :)

Ray

Hi Guy,
By some chance, does your steel 105MM M148A1B1 case have a fired ELEC M120 primer? The primer tube runs up the center, stoping 7.5 inches from the top. I have been going crazy trying to find one to section :-)

Jason

Ron,
They are yours.

Ray,
I guess I have a taker. Would you send the Christmas cookies anyway?

Jason,
If by Randy, you meant Guy, the only ones that appear to have electric primers are the 75s, as they show no indication of having been struck. I suppose I’d better ensure they are inert prior to shipping. Can anyone tell by the primer markings if they are electric? I know less than nothing about the big stuff.

So sorry Guy! I am freaking so dislexic and had a mental laps or something? :-) Thanks anyway :-)

Jason

Guy

Electric primers (they are actually combination electric/percussion) will have an insulation ring around the inner small contact point. If they’ve been loaded in a gun and fired electrically there we be a small dimple in the primer where the firing pin made contact to complete the circuit.

Ray

Ray,
One appears to have the insulation, but neither has any marks, indentations or other external characteristics to suggest it has been fired. On the 105mm, the center portion of the primer is pushed in about 1/16". Do you know if, like small arms ammo, these would be UPS shippable with live primers?

Guy–Is the electric primed case a pull-down or are there any indications of it having been fired, such as burn marks at the case mouth, an expansion ring near the case head, etc.

If you can see the sides of the primer tube inside the case, are the holes corroded or open? A live primer has the holes covered inside the tube with a linen or paper material. Usually after firing you can see a (usually) white corrosion around the holes. The odds are good, even if you can not see any marks on the primer, that it is fired. Ray is correct that usually there is a small dent where the contact was pressed against the primer, but not always. All the contact has to do is barely touch the primer to fire the round.

The round with the primer indented 1/16 inch is fired. The percussion pin on these is a large flat one almost the diameter of the primer.