Assistance in identifying silver bullet

This bullet has been in my family for many generations. However, on my moms passing, I could not find any information on the bullets’ heritage. All I know is that my late step dad was active in the Rhodesian war in late 1960’s. Any information that can help me would be appreiated.

It looks to me like a British 105mm HESH Practice or Drill shell for the 105mm Abbot SP Gun. The shell has been chrome plated. The SX number is typically British, the date of manufacture of the empty shell was December 1954 and it was Lot 36. FD is short for Field. Can’t help with the rest.

LilaniFraser,

Welcome to the forum. Nice item and great pictures.

To add a little to Buster’s information, your shell or projectile (not “bullet”) being a drill (dummy) shell contains no explosive and was probably a presentation/memento type item. HESH = High-Explosive Squash-Head. When an actual HE round is fired at and upon hitting a target, the nose of the shell starts to flatten out (squashes) against the target. At this point the delay action fuze in the base of the shell sets off the explosive content in the shell. This either blows a hole in the target or if the target is heavily reinforced or has heavy armor plate, the explosion does not penetrate the target but may cause a condition called spalling where material on the opposite side of the wall/structure from the explosion is violently torn away which can cause material damage and be lethal for anyone in the vicinity (opposite side) to the shell impact/explosion.

Brian

Thank you so much, it is very informant;-)

Now I’m even more intrigued by it. It could explain why it so heavy…