Assistance with Shell (?) Identification... did not finish

Good day – I am David Brewer, Senior Archaeologist for the US Virgin Islands. I was given this unique piece by a collector, but I can’t identify it. It was located on the east end of St. John, where we do know there is the wrecksite of a British frigate (roughly 1760)… this was located near but not at the site. Obviously cast iron (wrought?)… it has a copper band with the well-known statement from Isaiah 2:4 – “They will beat their swords into ploughshares and their spears into pruning hooks, nation shall not rise against nation.”

Open end is 1 3/4" (3.5 cm), overall daim is 2 3/4" (7 cm), overall length w/ little knob on end 10 1/2" (6.5 cm)DSCF0385 ![DS

1 Like

David,

Welcome to the Forum.

As I recall this is a post WW1 memento inert 75mm US projectile (steel) sold to the public after WW1 ended. The Isaiah 2:4 quote was stamped onto to the copper driving band of projectiles left over in manufacture’s stocks (without explosive charge) atter the end of the war. In essence it was an attempt to cut loses on unsold projectiles by making them into sellable souvenirs for the public instead of scrapping them. Sorry I cannot be more specific as I cannot locate my information on these at this time.

Brian

Here is a photo of one in better condition.
These were often part of a lamp with the brass cartridge case attached.

1 Like

This 75 mm shell was marked and converted into a table lamp by Snead & Co. Iron Works of Jersey City, New Jersey. It was recovered from the remnants of the T. A. Gillespie Co. shell loading plant explosion (Morgan area, NJ) ocurred on October 4, 1918.

Original label attached to the lamp:
Lamp

Ad published during late 1921 and early 1922:

1921-22

Regards,

Fede

3 Likes

Fede,

Somehow I knew you would come up with the correct info?!

Brian