Assorted artillery projectiles

I have photographed a number of artillery projectiles, just as they are, in a barn. The tractor wheel is to give some idea of scale. I haven’t done a detailed list of what there is, they are too numerous, I just snapped some photos of what could be the basis of a good beginners collection. The photo quality is poor I’m afraid, I can go back to look again if anyone has a specific query.

The types are mostly Armour Piercing (AP), Armour Piercing, Capped, Ballistic Capped (APCBC), Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot (APDS), Proof shot and a few smoke and illuminating odds and ends. There is a mixture of fired and unfired projectiles.

One AP and one proof, I should have noted the calibres.

81mm Mortar drill bomb, some cores from APDS and a 40mm.

155mm Howitzer HE substitute.

2 inch Mortar, drill and illuminating (parachute flare)

Dunno!

76mm Smoke fuze amongst a host of other stuff.

Ditto.

Lots of heavy metal here.

A very, very long 105mm projectile, a fast rifling twist needed for this one!

20 Pdr APCBC and proof shot.

17 Pdr APCBC, AP shot and Proof shot.

6 Pdr APCBC, AP and Proof shot.

gravelbelly

Hi Dave

I would be interested in the 17pr and the 6pr projectiles. Did they come from the farm where you kept your collection for a while?

Best

Ian

[quote=“Buster”]Hi Dave

I would be interested in the 17pr and the 6pr projectiles. Did they come from the farm where you kept your collection for a while?

Best

Ian[/quote]

Yes Buster.

A very interesting selection!
All projectiles with purple markings are experimental.
All the cylindrical ones are test shots and are also seldomly encountered!

Dave, I’d double check that the 2" mortar is actually a ‘drill’. The red and yellow bands look ominously like High Explosive to me…

Dave

If the mortar is wartime production the red filling ring probably indicates the presence of the primary cart, and the yellow band sand filled.

I’ll have a closer look at that one the next time I am out that way. There used to be some drill bombs lying around there but, from memory, they were all black and of a sturdier construction. They were probably intended to be fired several times by replacing the primary cartridge.

In the Royal Navy we used to have competitions using these bombs, everyone put half a crown in a hat and got three or four bombs. A sticky tape label was stuck on the bombs with the competitors name on it. The target was an upturned oil drum with a metal stake hammered into the ground beneath it. We all fired our bombs, accompanied by much catcalling and jeering from the spectators. We then walked down to the target and the distance to each bomb from the stake was measured (in feet and inches of course) and the longest distance crossed out. The remaining miss distances were added up and the shooter with the shortest overall total was awarded the contents of the hat. The glory of winning didn’t last long as the winner was swiftly carried to the nearest bar to buy beer for all of his oppos. Great fun but only practical on land of course!

gravelbelly

There are some nice projectiles there. It’s a shame they’re all rusting away.

[quote=“Buster”]Hi Dave

Best

Ian[/quote]

Buster,

Do you mean that you would like one of each type of 17pr and the 6pr projectiles rather than all of them in those calibres? I can sort out the prettiest looking one of each type and set them aside for you if you like. Are you only interested in unfired ones or some with handsome rifling on the driving bands?

Of some there are only one or two specimens whereas others are more plentiful.

gravelbelly

Falcon,

Yes, but most look worse in the photos than they are in real life. I have cleaned up some and much of the rust is relatively superficial.

gravelbelly

Awesome Collection! Some really interesting projectiles. I like what I think is a base ejecting projo :-) You definitely have the coolest bard in town!

Jason

PM sent