ATK Awarded Manufacturing Development Contract for XM25

ATK (NYSE: ATK) received a $16.8 million engineering and manufacturing development contract modification from the U.S. Army’s Program Executive Office (PEO) Soldier for its XM25, Individual Semi-Automatic Airburst System. The contract funds the continuing design, integration, production and testing of fully functional systems to ensure the weapon’s final design meets performance requirements and is production-ready prior to fielding.

The XM25 is a rifle that fires a 25mm airbursting round programmed by the weapon’s integrated target acquisition and fire control system to burst directly above a designated target. The system allows soldiers to quickly and accurately engage targets by producing an adjusted aimpoint based on range, environmental factors, and user inputs.

The Army conducted Forward Operational Assessments (FOA) with early XM25 prototype weapons deployed in Afghanistan from November 2010 through May 2012 with soldiers actively employing them on patrols in areas experiencing high levels of enemy activity. Soldier feedback validated that the XM25 provides a unique combat advantage. Furthermore, the FOA provided information that will inform decisions regarding tactics, training, basis of issue, and system improvements prior to the weapon’s fielding. ATK will be supporting another Army XM25 FOA scheduled for 2013 with a 36-gun battalion set of new pre-production prototypes.

“The XM25 has been battle-proven by our soldiers during U.S. Army operational assessments conducted in Afghanistan. We are very pleased with this system’s performance and the overmatch capability it delivers to our warfighters,” said Bruce DeWitt, Vice President and General Manager of ATK’s Armament Systems Division. “We are focused on quickly making this weapon ready for production.”

this is one of the two systems I displayed (this one being shoulder fired…the other being General Dynamics system a squad system XM 307 OCSW) at SLICS 2008

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11667&p=83043&hilit=ocsw#p83043

Pepper - that was likely the most incredible display ever shown at any cartridge or gun show in America. All of us that were there enjoyed it immensely.

The weapons system is incredible. It allows even the firing of a round through a window into a room with the firer determining how deep into the room the muntiion will explode. No more hiding behind walls. It can go through them or over them and burst where required.

Will SLICS 2013 see the return of a display from Pepper?

believe it or not…Yes would seem the plan right now

title ? “1/2 a display”

you figure from there !

(the real quesion is…will we see the legendary John Moss at SLICS '13?)

PS…thanks for the kind words…'just got lucky and hit the ball over the fence

to date…my restoration of the 1973 Corvette “show car”…(that happened to burn up when it was 97% done)…took most of my creative juices…now it’s time for another challenge…a “maybe” 2013 SLICS display !!

before (yes ammo photos do follow !!)

opps

after

some detail

notice a little ammo reference ?

2004 “Flechettes”

2005 “Special Purpose”

2006 “Less Lethal; Tear Gas”

2007 “Less Lethal; Non Tear Gas”

2008 “No Place to Hide”

Just amazing on so many levels!!!

Jason

Hi Pepper. I like the " pig skin " ignition !!! The car looks GREAT !! M. Rea

Pepper - I’ll give you blue book for that old, beat up car of yours! :-)

to quote SuperMan (and keep it ammo related)…“faster than a speeding bullet”!

(you’re old enough to appreciate that old car)

the SLICS 13 table display is in its planning stages, tables arranged (thanks Vic) and the list of display items reduced to paper…now to figure out a story line

Note the “Ammunition far side” yellow sign on the heater box…passenger floor side…of the Vette

It often gives me the segue to talk of the IAA (at car shows)

In Feb ’11 a group of us were on the USS aircraft carrier, Carl Vinson, CVN 70 in the Northern Arabian Sea…give or take 90 miles off the coast of Pakistan…yes we landed on it…150 mph to 0 in 1.5 seconds!

In the CO’s quarters there was the “Ammunition Far Side” sign on one wall…and curiosity made me ask…and get the answer it is… “just what it says”…and they explained there is ammunition on the far (other) side of this very wall…as notice…should there be a fire (or welding be done…which is good to know!!

I said I “need” one of those signs.

A few weeks later one arrived and I affixed it to the very spot that the fire burned thru the Vette’s firewall and considering there is some “ammo” on the far side (big ol engine) why not?

Honor our service men & women;

be proud to have been on the very ship Mr. bin Laden last occupied some 73 days later

and tell folks of my ammo “addiction” !

Pepper, do you know when - and why - the case belt was widened?

I am sorry, but I don’t have an answer, nor do I think I have a good current source (but will ask). I have never seen a belt variation in the short cased 25mm. I have three belt width variations in the long obsolete 20mm. I have a much stronger collection in the long cased (General Dynamics squad version) than the ATK short cased (low recoil) version. The hypothesis is that info, dummies, “samples” are very very tight with the ATK version since it is currently being “tested”, trial fielded, etc., (whatever the correct words are for the phase of their growing contract)

I should really do a Journal article, but for the above reason, the accuracy and detail could be suspect, especially with the most current info being “tight” to come by. I have good historical data/info/story on the 20mm program (OICW) and good info on the squad weapon XM307 (OCSW, ACSW)…which is pretty much defunct right now. It’s the low recoil version (XM 25) that grew out of the 20mm program that the “inside data” is hard to come by.

I personally think that is “just a photo”…and was never produced in quantity…unless for some reason you thing the ammo is currently wide belted?
I am asked every SLICS if I have any extra short cases rounds for trade…and have not for a few years. Sadly I had one of two extra of the 20mm versions “disappear” from my table this past SLICS. I usually have an extra of the long cased inert TP rounds…but those are general reserved as traders…preferably traded for a variation/marking. Etc., I don’t have.

bottom line? I will look at my examples more carefully. Maybe I have that wider belt? Stay tuned

Thanks Pepper.

Although I have personally only ever seen the narrow-belt version at exhibitions, there is no doubt that the wide-belt version has been made and fired: photographs of several of them illustrated an article in Small Arms Defence Journal, taken at a firing demonstration that was witnessed in 2010.

Also, when I obtained an image file from ATK at DSEi last year, the one and only pic of an XM25 round in it was of the wide-belt type.

I have heard from a reliable source who is involved with the project that the wide-belt case represents current production.

He was not permitted to say why the change was made, but the only reason I can think of for doing such a thing would be to strengthen the base of the case.