For my own sake I am trying to record different color variations of plastic bodied cartridges (be it dummy/drill, blank, grenade blank, short range, short range tracers, and so on).
Please note I exclude commercial snap caps or dummies.
I’ll input my own observations from my collection and will take some photos this weekend - one photo sample for each color.
Please do comment with any colors you yourself have seen and photos if available.
Also do please come with input/comments on color names or other things.
o = opaque, t = translucent, st = semitranslucent
- Black (o) - various mfgs. amongst them Bakelittfabrikken and DAG, DDR dummy rds etc
- Gray (o/st/t) - unknown but I have observed them
- Clear/bright red (o) - Bakelittfabrikken
- Dark red (o) - Bakelittfabrikken early rifle blanks
- Salmon/dark pink (st) - Bakelittfabrikken very early 9x19 blanks
- Bright yellow (o) - Bakelittfabrikken various rifle launching blanks
- Bright yellow (t) - Finnish blank
- Dark yellow/orange tint yellow (o) - Bakelittfabriken .30 Carbine blanks
- Brass (o) - Gevelot blanks
- Green (st) - French blanks
- Olive green (o) - DAG blanks
- Dark green (o) - Finnish blanks
- Light blue/cyan (t) - Bakelittfabrikken and DAG short range rounds
- Lght blue/cyan (o) - same as above
- Dark blue (t)&(st) - same as above
- Dark blue (o) - DAG short range
- Indigo (o) - Austrian blanks
- White (o) - French blanks
- White (st)&(t) - DAG short range, some blanks
- Milky white (st)&(t)- Finnish blanks, US PLAMIL pattern blanks, Austrian blanks
Out of curiosity I have to ask if there are any examples of purple, violet, or orange plastic rounds.
I know of the short range rounds with orange projectiles but have not seen any rounds with a semi or full body of orange plastic.