Australian .380" blank

Hi to all,
looking for help with this .380" blank please.
Obviously it was manufactured originally as a MkII ball round as the headstamp and case cannular would indicate…so is this a ‘offical’ military blank or a later commercial ‘got at’?.
Powder is closed with a card disc and then sealed with what looks like shellac

Tony

PC140002 PC140003

1 Like

I have the same headstamp as a blank with6 lobe crimps.Length is 18.2mm.
I guess mine is original. Only one I ever found.
Yours is a pulled projectile in my opinion but who knows.
I have not seen an Australian blank box.

Ron,

Would appreciate a profile photo of you .380 blank. Have not heard of it before. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the .380s

John

John
Sorry to say I removed my blank from the collection drawer months ago to show or comment on it. Missing in action and could be anywhere.
The crimp was roughly 45 degrees and not a flattened 6 lobes. Must find it.

Thanks for the reply, Ron. When you find it I would love to see the profile. Also interested to know if the primer annulus is purple.

Footscray records ( they are not complete by any means) don’t mention a blank. Case length is normally 19.5mm. I’m not sure that a crimp would lose that much, but it’s possible.

Tony,

A can of worms. I haven’t come across this “blank” before and suspected foul play, but have since heard of another identical one with MQ 42 38 II headstamp. Now I’m wondering if it is just a blank or some sort of special purpose load. Will try to find one and check the powder type. Black powder would confirm a blank, but chopped cordite?? The existence of a true crimped blank makes me wonder about the two year spread of dates on yours.

John

1 Like

John
The primer did not have any annulus colour but still had a case groove.
The overall loaded length was 18.2mm (from my files).

Thanks Ron & John.

Tony