Austrian " * 10 * 7,62x51"

What is “10”?

“ARMOURY” Formerly Voinni Fabrika, Kazanlak (B ф)
Gone over to Commercial Export production as well as Military since collapse of Communism.
Good quality Ammo.
Brass quality has always been good there, even back in late 30s with 8x56R (“S” ).
Doc AV

1 Like

I got mine out from Hirtenberger factory, direct …
So, maybe produced for Bulgaria, or a client of them. …
Pp

1 Like

Definitely not Bulgarian, it gives no clues for such origin except for the number 10. Instead from the appearance, annulus, primer crimp, headstamp font and headstamp contents I go with @Forensic → Hirtenberger. Which of course is a set of impressions and no proof…

1 Like

As Peter and Hans are saying. Bulgaria might have been the customer at best.
Hirtenberger was well connected to Bulgarian arms business and made other ammunition for them as well.

And the 7.62x39 HS below does not leave too much room for interpretation I think.

Image source: internet (I think it is from Jim Miles)

2 Likes

Sorry, my Hasty mistake.
I remember about 30 years ago getting some once fired 7,62N here in Australia, from Ammo0
that originated in West Germany.
( MEN, FNM, HP and ,“10”)
All from a Bulk Surplus Dealer in
BRD. It was German Army 15 + yrs.
“Life expired” ammo being sold
by 20ft Container load.
Yes, the HP Id is most probably correct.
Sorry for misleading reference to Bulgaria.
Doc AV
“OldTimers Disease”

1 Like

Bulgaria is a NATO member since 2004, but that does not explain mixing old Bulgarian “10” with NATO calibre designation at the bottom. Plus, I don’t even know if NATO is still using 7,62x51.

Vlad, it is still the standard caliber for all sort of MGs and many sniper/DMR rifles.
Your cartridges are explainable in the way that they likely came directly from Austria with the HP marked ones.

1 Like

No worries, Bulgaria is kinda involved and you maybe could not know that HP was supplying ammo to them during cold war days.

1 Like