Austrian/Italian WW1 cartridge?

Folks,

I was traveling in the Dolomites of N. Italy a few years ago and wandering through some of the Alpine battlefields I found several cartridges that I could not identify. I’m hoping you can help. Here is the headstamp for the first of them:

and here is a shot of the overall cartridge:

Thanks for this great site!

Rgds,

Sean

This is an Austrian 8 x 50 R Mannlicher cartridge.

A very common find here in Italy

Made by Weiss in Budapest (I had a similar round posted recently).

Thanks for those replies, that was very helpful. Here is another cartridge.

Here is the (rather dark) headstamp image:

IIRC both of these cartridges were found on Monte Piana, in the Dolomites.

Rgds,

Sean

C-14 = Capua 1914
I have problems reading this headstamp.
If it is L.N., then it may be Leggiadore, Nicola.

Sean - that one appears to be a 6.5 Carcano roundm made at Capua in 1914. The initials at the top are those of the government inspector at Capua at the time the round was made. More of them are unknown than are known. I can’t read those initials well on my screen, but perhaps someone else can, and can identifiy them. If you can tell what they are, perhaps they will be on the list I have. In Italian Fashion, the initial on the left represents the last name, and that on the right the first name. It is quite customary in Italy to use the family name first in print, introductions, etc.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been studying the original photo, which I’m afraid isn’t as clear as I would have hoped, but my best guess is that it says “Pre” and then “N”. Is that consistent with any of the inspectors you know about?

Rgds,

Sean

It is L. N. (the “L” could look like “Pre” for you since the carcano headstamps are often difficult to read and the “L” is written in a sort of “old style” )

Vlad ID it properly, the letters stand for “Leggiadore Nicola”. This is the only known headstamp from Capua from that year ( 1914).

Capua L. N. headstamps bear dates from 1913 to 1935.

This is a pretty common round in the italian trenches.

Thanks for everyone’s help! I was surprised to see so much military detritus still evident nearly 100 years later. A beautiful and evocative part of the world.

Thanks again,

Sean

There’s a lot of this stuff around yet.

When I was working on my Carcano headstamp database ( PM me if you like to have a copy) a friend of mine, picked up a shop bag full of Carcano rounds and cases for me every time he went out with his metal detector. I checked any headstamp, note every new headstamp and dump the other stuff.