B. Co. - which company?

The B.Co. marking was found on a 75mm Case.
Which Company used that marking?
Source: http://www.militaria-fundforum.de/showthread.php?t=94483

THX a lot,
mhistory

Sorry I cannot answer your question, but what is that where the primer should be?

Falcon

Possibly trench art. The hole for the primer is plugged both for appearances and to provide a means for attaching things, such as cigarette lighters, to the other side. Quite common. Here’s a USN 5"/38 case that I have that has been made into an ash tray/lighter.

mhistory - I don’t know what B.Co. means either.

Ray

Ray, I see what you mean now, I have seen those plugs before. The one in Mhistory’s case looked like cardboard to me from the light.

Ray, do you know the meaning of F.S.C. at your USN 5"/38 case ?

Mhistory

M

Sorry, but I don’t. Questions about mfg names on the big artillery cases (and the small ones too) seem to come up all the time. Some have been answered but most are not. There must be someone in IAA who knows, but apparantly they are not on the Forum.

Ray

I would like a headstamp guide for above 20mm. I would be willing to put it together if I had enough information.

• @ Mhistory & Ray: The shell case maker’s mark “FSC” can be found on some headstamps for 20mm Oerlikon “S” [20X110RB] brass shell cases [Mk2 & Mk4] manufactured in 1942-43-44-45. The mark “FSC” stands for “Florence Stove Co.”, Kankakee [IL], USA. Liviu 06/30/07

Hi Liviu, thx for the information.

Mhistory

Liviu

I stand corrected. Some of the more knowledgeable ARE on the Forum. Thanks for the info.

Have you thought about making up a listing of those mfg that you know and having it incorporated into the Home page Reference Section? Maybe it will get others interested enough to add their own.

Ray

That would be a very handy and beneficial idea. I often struggle to identify maker’s marks on anything above 20mm.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]M

Sorry, but I don’t. Questions about mfg names on the big artillery cases (and the small ones too) seem to come up all the time. Some have been answered but most are not. There must be someone in IAA who knows, but apparantly they are not on the Forum.

Ray[/quote]

I can answer many of these questions but have more than one indication that folks get tired of seeing my monicker. So I let many of them pass and hope that others who know will posts the answers. learning to find this information is as important as knowing the answers. Much of it is easily available on the various sites and through a web search.

Many of the top collectors don’t bother with the FORUM. I think that this is a shame in the community but we all do what we are free to do.

Some of the heavy hitters like John Moss do a real service to the community by answering a variety of questions and I would like to see more senior collectors come on.

• @ Ray & Falcon: I have a complete list of the 20mm shell case makers [20mm Oerlikon “S” and 20mm Hispano] from USA. This list was printed many yers ago in some IAA Journal. I got the list from a proeminent IAA member who has all the Journals. Ray, if you want the list I can make a copy and mail it to you. Falcon, I can do the same for you but I need your mailing address. I would be interested in a complete list showing the 20mm shell case makers [20mm Oerlikon “S” and 20mm Hispano] from UK. I know some of the British WW2 20mm shell case makers but I’m not sure I know all of them. Liviu 07/01/07

Liviu

I have the IAA JOURNAL DVD but I still forget to use it at times. There is such a wealth of information in the old JOURNALS. I located the headstamp lists that you mentioned. Thanks for pointing them out to me. And thanks for reminding me to use the DVD Index that I paid for with my hard earned Social Security retirement dollars.

Ray

Thanks for the offer Liviu, but I do not see enough of those US 20mm cases to need the list. I have never seen a list of all the UK manufacturers. Do you have any unidentified British 20x110 or 20x110RB Oerlikon? Type out the headstamp if you do and I’ll see if I have seen the markings before.

Falcon - I would not turn down offers of information. You should start building a library. I worked for 38 years in a gun shop where we got all the catalogs for all the makers every year, and I did not save ammo catalogs my first 20 years even though I could have them free, although a cartridge collector, nor firearms catalogs for my first 25 years. I sure wish I had all those now! The fact that you don’t see many 20mm US now doesn’t mean you won’t over your lifetime of collecting. You simply cannot have too much information at hand. I have a pretty big library, and I wish it were four times the size it is! You are, right now, judging from your postings, a general collector. You need information from all fields of cartridge collecting.

Everytime you get a cartridge you learn about one cartridge. Everytime you get literature on cartridges you learn about dozens of cartridges! Forgive me if I am butting into your affairs here - I just feel it is up to older collectors to try to give guidance to the younger members of our fraternity, so they do not suffer from the same errors we made. With that, I promise to butt out on this subject in the future.

In my records (MS Access database) I have entries for all of the 20mm+ Rounds I have. My main interest is British Military SAA under 20mm, but I seem to have an awful lot of “everything else” from .22 “Acorn” blanks to a US 105mm M14 Shell case. I would happily add all the 20mm+ manufacturers I have on my records to a large calibre headstamp guide. You say you worked in a gun shop for 38 years and received catalogues for manufacturers each year, did these also cover 20mm+ Ordnance which is almost exclusively for military use?

I have never yet heard of another serious collector under 20, are there any you know of?

Falcon - no, off hand, I don’t know of another serious collector your age. Perhaps that is why I pick on you about building a library as you go along. You are a bright young man and a great asset to our hobby, so I just want you to learn more and more about cartridges.

No, commercial catalogues in a retail gun shop don’t deal with 20mm ammunition, or any military rounds. All that information in our libraries comes from other source, like the list Liviu offered you. Some information on military ammunition is easy to find through books, Ammunition factory military catalogs, etc., as well, of course, as the internet. However, a lot of it is next to impossible to come by, and sometimes we have to use “collateral” sources to try to figure something out for ourselves. That is why it is important to have quick access to information on all sorts of ammunition, commercial and military. Sometimes knowing about a commercial factory, and knowing the location but not the name of a military producer, can give you the name of that producer when you find out there is only one factory in that area or that country, for example.

My sole, serious interest in cartridges is now auto pistol. I dallied a bit with the .303 and quite a bit with the 7.9, but am back now to my original interest. However, my library covers all guns and ammunition. The carry-over helps me, and the stuff I am not personally involved with sometimes helps me to help others with information. Either way, having a good library is a winner. I will keep my library long after I have disposed of all my cartridges.

I did think it a bit unlikely that catalogues supplied to a commercial gun shop would contain information on large military rounds. I have also never heard of a collector my age.

Do you really intend to dispose of all your cartridges?

Falcon,

The time will come when I do dispose of all my cartridges. I am 68 years old, and my family has no interest in my collection. However, while one part of my collection will be leaving here soon, I will stick with my auto pistol cartridges for some years yet, I hope. While I don’t add much of importance anymore to that collection, it is still a source of enjoyment to me.

Remember, none of us is the last owner of any cartridge we possess. Just a fact of life. Doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy them for years and years, as I have, though, with hopefully some years to go.