B-Patrone, WWII complete box

I have had a box of B-Patorne for 10 years or so. I have been told never ship the stuff, sell locally and now rencently by what sounds like a voice of experience that it is ok to ship just pad it up well and ship it ground.

In that I am no longer into German sniper stuff, can anyone tell me what this stuff would be worth in the origional box, it is late war production and the cases are slightly discolored (not bright shiney, but not corroded or black from any agent) …

In the US so UK laws to mess with, can anyone give insight as to value of the 15 rounds and if it OK to ship the rounds?

Thanks us1918

Welcome to the forum us1918. I would guess the value of your original B-Patrone box at something between $100 and $300. It depends so much on whether you sell it at auction and people compete for it, or the specifics of the markings on the label, etc… Individual rds sometimes sell for $20 to $40 a piece depending on condition, but a whole box is ususally less due to fewer people willing to shell out much more than $200 for a single ammo purchase. If the box were mint or had some rare markings it would be worth more.

I have been selling a few boxes of the Yugoslavian re-spec’d version of this ammo (“EZ” type) for around $100 to $125 per box lately. Your original box is more rare, and so should be worth more.

The ammo is totally safe to ship if you just wrap it in bubble wrap and pack it properly. It’s not like raw nitroglycerin or anything. You might just try to avoid slapping one of these cartridges against a brick wall tip-first, which sort of goes without saying. A more common mistake is trying to use an inertia puller to get a bullet out, which can also detonate the bullet.

No incendiary round with an inertia firing pin and no design features to make it bore safe is
totally safe to ship." That coupled with age, in my opinion, makes it even less safe. We have one instance on record, from a highly reliable collector in Europe, of a B-Patrone “flaming out” just sitting in his cabinet. It did little damage, just a scorched spot in his drawer, but it probably was not an ignition by the firing pin.

I personally think the original advice of selling locally was sound. If it is any indicator, Woodin Lab keeps all B-Patronen separated from the main collection, in an area where any kind of ignition is not likely to start any larger fire or cause any damage. Check State laws before displaying them at a gun show. In my own state, mere possession is a felony. In most states, I don’t think they are outlawed but I know California is not the only one where they are, or at least, I believe so. I can’t honestly say I am positive, other than for California.

Sorry to be contrary DK, but that is my opinion and I felt it should be said here. I would also say to check with various shipping companies on the legality of shipping them. I am not familiar with that so can provide no information myself.

John Moss

If I read your post correctly, you want to ship them from the US to the UK (“In the US so UK laws to mess with”). If legally possible, it would not be an easy thing to do. In addition, they might not be legal for possession in the UK. I agree…try to sell locally.

I guess I’m just speaking for my experience with the Yugo EZ loads that I have, which are original B-Patrone projectiles after all. Maybe (probably) they are more dangerous than I realize? I received them via UPS and have shipped many boxes recently, well-packed of course. There seems to be some of these loads sold and shipped on Gunbroker about every other month, and of course there’s also the Zara bullets, and the guy who fraudulently sells those bullets labeled as .30 cal Raufoss quite a bit.

I would agree that relatively speaking, they are probably the most dangerous small arms cartridges that most any of us might regularly handle.

The only round that I can think of off hand that I would rate as more dangerous (sspeaking oly of small arms ammunition) are the flat-tip Japanese HE rounds in various calibers. There are some early German, British and Austrian explosive rounds that may be more dangerous too, but they are so rare few of us will ever handle them.

Shipping ammo out of the country requires a U.S. State Department license (BATFE handles import only, not export) or did when I was in the business, and it was just about impossible for the average person or even dealer to get. You needed end-user certificates from the Govt. of the receiving country, and other stuff as well. If it is easier now, I hope someone will correct me.

John Moss

If the cartridge rattles slightly when shaken gently, the internal firing pin is loose and the projectile can be set off by simply dropping it from three feet. A colleague had the bad fortune of using an inertia hammer on one in austrian caliber and he had to buy a new hammer. His hearing was not damaged.(!)
Do under no circumstances ship anything live to Europe, including England. Most of our postal “services” do not accept anything even remotely gun/military/ammo/etc. Even deactivated / inerted ammo is suspect in their eyes.
Soren

I don’t want to encourage incautiousness here, we are talking about something with decades of exceeded shelf life!

Part of the mil. acceptance procedures for B-Patronen was a safe drop of cartridges, bullet tip down, from - I seem to recall - 3 metres. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Hans

[quote=“Hans”]I don’t want to encourage incautiousness here, we are talking about something with decades of exceeded shelf life!
Part of the mil. acceptance procedures for B-Patronen was a safe drop of cartridges, bullet tip down, from - I seem to recall - 3 metres. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Hans[/quote]You are absolutely right about the acceptance test. The decades of past sell by date are here compounded by handling by persons who did not know what they were handling etc. The guy who had that B-cartridge I was referring to looked a little nervous when I told him what it was. One of the problems is the black nose colour can wear off. The thing may have been loaded in a rifle and subjected to recoil a number of times during its lifetime.
Soren

edit: spelling