Badly corroded bullets - should I throw away?

What are your thoughts on this? That collection I bought (improperly stored in an oak case) has much worse corrosion on the lead bullets than I hoped. See pictures, but the bullets are very badly corroded. Should I just throw these away? I’m not really sure I want them in my collection. Please let me know what you guys think I should do with them.
Thanks!
Joel

Joel
Those bullets are half as bad corroded as you think they are,throgh nothing away
if I would do what you intend to do I would almost discard half my collection in my
humble opinion protect them now as they are and live with it.
Sherryl

2 Likes

Joel
might be some good headstamps in that bunch, bring them to the show in May someone might trade some green paper for them.

OR

Plus I agree with Sherryl keep them till you find a replacement. I know guys who only want mint condition items in their collection, that said it IS their collection, but they will probably never have a complete collection as some things you just have to take as they are because you only get one chance at them.

A stout cloth and a good dose of Renaissance wax with some elbow grease has salvaged a number of such rounds for me. Obviously won’t replace the lost metal but stops further loss.

Hope helpful.
Rich

2 Likes

Joel, corrosion often takes up more volume than the original metal, so you may be surprised at how much is still intact after cleaning. It may not be as bad as it appears at first glance.

Thanks for all the advice! I will clean them up as best as possible. I like the idea of keeping any that I don’t have until I find a higher quality replacement. The other ones I’ll bring to the next cartridge show I go to and see if I can get some trades out of them.
Thanks!
Joel

Wish I had a collection like that. Please don’t throw it away!

Although not particularly relevant, it reminds me of the “tin whiskers” that have shorted out various satellites.