Barnes Range AR 5.56x45mm with 52gr Zinc Core OTMFB; Qustion About Box Markings

I recently noticed these “unusual” box markings for the Barnes 5.56x45mm Range 52gr Open Tip Flat Base. Parts of the box label and end tab are in black and white and show cartridge information and the warning “NOT FOR USE IN .223 REM CHAMBERS”.

Is this type of large format black & white marking typical for this particular Barnes loading? Other Barnes 5.56x45mm boxes?

Pictures from the internet:

Barnes%20556%2C%20b

Any feedback, corrections are most welcomed!

Thanks,
Brian

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Yes, this marking is typical of Barnes boxes marked “5.56 x 45mm”. Other loadings are 69 gr OTM BT, 85 gr OTM BT, 62 gr TSX, and 70 gr TSX. Headstamp is: BBR 13 5.56, BBR 14 5.56 or BBR 15 5.56.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Is that a military style hs?

Alex, yes, with Barnes DoD symbol. This ammunition is loaded in primed cases made by RUAG at Thun.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Fede, interesting, so RUAG makes them with “BBR” headstamp?

Fede,

Thanks very much for information on the Barnes 5.56x45mm boxes.

As Alex has noted it is very interesting to hear that Barnes is getting primed cartridge cases from Ruag considering Barnes association with Remington here in the US.

Brian

Here is more information on the Barnes/RUAG collaboration:

2016 - Barnes’ Precision Match Ammo.pdf (180.6 KB)

Norma USA is also offering .223 Remington cartridges loaded in RUAG primed cases made at Thun. Headstamp is norma .223 REM. Same primer cup, sealant and crimps.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Fede,

Great information and PDF!

Brian

Fede, interesting indeed, thanks!

Just a (provocative) question, does this headstamp (from the press release Fede has posted) look like anything we ever saw from RUAG or Lapua?

Just a little bit of info to toss into the Barnes 5.56x45mm postings.

I contacted Barnes, earlier last year regarding the “BBR” symbol issued by the DOD, and received an e-mail reply with the following statement on 3-6-18

BBR will break down to “Barnes Ballistic Research”

Regarding the cases being manufactured by RUAG - Thun: These Swiss cases have a laser etched head stamp. This process is much cheaper to employ as there is no bunter to make or replace.

1 Like

Frank, thanks for the additional information.

Here is a picture of a Barnes 5.56 headstamp by RUAG Thun:

BBR

An earlier discussion on the BBR symbol:

Regards,

Fede

Fede, thanks a lot for that 5.56mm hs !!!

Fede, I forgot, the hs of the 5.56mm shown above seems to have been applied with a laser.
Can you confirm that?

Definite laser applied head stamp

Hi Fede,
First I’d like to wish you and your family a very “HAPPY NEW YEAR” and lets all hope that 2019 will be better than 2018.

I’ve tried to take a picture of the RUAG-Thun laser made head stamps but have had no luck. It never seems to be the correct light or angle for me. … or just me…LOL

The “PRIME” brand also produced by RUAG has the same type of laser Head stamp.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank, maybe you have a scanner? If so try the highest dpi setting.

I don’t have a better image of the BBR headstamp, but here is an example of a Laser etched headstamp by RUAG Thun.

Fede, thanks, this is very helpfull!

Your hs here squares with lasered headstamps of the same appearance (including primer and crimp) saying “DAG” and “GECO”.
So now I wonder what the lowest common denominator in all this is and who the real case manufacturer is.

Alex, that’s because RUAG Ammotec AG (Thun) makes some cartridges of the Geco and DAG lines owned by RUAG Ammotec GmbH in Germany. For example, you have Swiss made Geco 9x19, 5.56x45 and .223 Rem., and Swiss made DAG 9x19 and 5.56x45.

Regards,

Fede

Or, DAG made “Swiss” 9x19.

So it does not help much as we know that MFS is the cheapest link in this chain and they sure play a large role in this.