Bataan Military Plant, Philippines Headstamp

For the past several years I have been chasing information on the Bataan Military Plant (headstamp: BMP) to see if they made 9x19. It now seems that their production was limited to 5.56mm with the known dates being 91 and 93.

There are also 5.56mm headstamped RPA (Republic of the Philippines Army, or perhaps Republic of the Philippines Arsenal) from the late 1980s. They also made at least one lot of 9x19mm in 1997. The box label for the 9x19mm with the RPA headstamp states:

Manufactured by:
GOVERNMENT ARSENAL
Department of National Defense
Camp General Antonio Luna
Limay, BATAAN,
PHILIPPINES

The obvious question is whether these are actually only a single plant, or are there (were there) two military ammunition plants in Bataan?

Perhaps they used one headstamp (RPA) for ammunition for the Army and a different headstamp (BMP) for ammunition for the police or whoever.

I have never seen an address associated with the Bataan Military Plant.

Comments???

Cheers, Lew

The government arsenal website lists a few cartridges they produce along with the production organization of their various facilities. It does not give specific headstamp data though: http://www.arsenal.mil.ph/profmanu.html There is an email listed for the plant office as: gammlo@mozcom.com I’m guessing that somebody at the plant office email address could answer the question. Most of them speak both English and Spanish, in the administrative wings anyway.

Matt,

Good recommendation! the company history sure indicates that BMP and RPA (Government Arsenal) sure must be the same installation.

It also says that they are producing 9x19mm today. There is also a section on the SAW9 machine pistol in 9x19 they are developing. Gotta wonder what is on all those wonderful headstamps???

Thanks!!! Lew

A little off the subject of cartridges, but, in the Philippines, the national language is Tagalog. There are many dialects used in the Philippines, but, in Bataan, which is a peninsula on the island of Luzon, Tagalog is the language spoken. Most Filipinos, especially the younger generations, also speak English quite well. Spanish is rarely used, (except that certain words are “holdovers” from the long Spanish occupation…like “basilica” for “church” ) and not understood at all by most of the people. My wife learned Spanish here in the US, after a couple of years of working with Mexican Americans.