Battle of Britain Day

15 September is commemorated as Battle of Britain Day, marking the day in 1940 that saw the greatest aerial battle of the period.
Wondering if anyone would like to share images of cartridges etc relevant to the combatants of that campaign?

30-06 for the RAF produced by Remington
(and yes, I know this is a 1941 dated box but the contract started in 1940)

Unfortunately, I only have .303 ball rounds from 1940. All my special loadings in 303 are pre- or post- 1941.

No ammo to show, but an anecdote to share:

Yesterday I was on a ferry from Calais approaching Dover, when a single-prop monoplane passed at a distance. It looked familiar, and fortunately made a second pass right overhead, giving a clear view of that famous elliptical wing.

What a brilliant way to be welcomed back to Blighty - by a Spitfire flying over the white cliffs of Dover!

This is the only 1940 British 303 cartridge I have.

No specific ammunition to show but when I worked at John Wilkes a gentleman named S.H. Cannon would come in, He was then an owner of an incorporated insurance broker company. And according to either Tom or John, I can’t remember which, he was a Battle of Britain ACE. Nice guy, and he gave me a diary which I carried during my travels.

Happy 9 year IAA anniversary Pete.

Ole

I spent three years on exchange from the USAF to the RAF from Jan 1974 to Dec 1976. Many great memories of the Battle of Britain Receptions at the Mess. Two of those years, I was assigned to Hq Strike Command (ex-Bomber Command). While there, Kathleen was visiting a friend in the hospital and met Bomber Harris’ daughter who also knew Kathleen’s friend, and was visiting her Father who was also in the hospital. Kathleen was introduced to Air Marshal Harris.

At the following Battle of Britain Reception, Harris’ daughter brought Kathleen over to meet her mother, and Kathleen was invited to walk the halls of the Mess at Strike Command as Air Marshal Harris told candid stories about all the Air Marshals pictured on the walls. When they got back, Kathleen found me and I had an opportunity to meet and talk to Air Marshal Harris. We always had lots of retired RAF guests and quite a few veterans of the Battle of Britain. One of the most memorable was a woman who wore the propeller overlayed with “RAC” rather than teh more common “RAF”" propeller pins. Her husband was a WWI fighter Pilot and later the Aide to Air Marshal Lord Trenchard who was instrumental in forming the RAF, She had some wonderful stories.

My best wishes to all members of the RAF, Past and Present! A great organization in 1940 and still is today.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew , I know what you mean…in 2005, I had the privilege of accompanying my Uncle to the 65th anniversary of the Battle of Britain celebrations in London. Highlight of the visit was the Battle of Britain (BoB) Banquet at RAF Northolt. We were collected from the RAF Club in Piccadilly and went by bus to the former wartime base. On the journey I sat next to a lovely French/English lady; didn’t that young Pilot Officer who was checking names, snap to attention when this lady, gave her name as “Lady Dowding”, I was sitting next to Hugh Dowding’s daughter in law! It is probably not well known, that Dowding’s son was himself, ‘one of the few’.
The English certainly know how to put on a show and that event is etched into my memory forever. We were treated to a private airshow, with some 22 Spitfires involved. The Duke of Edinburgh was in attendance and had a chat with my Uncle…my Uncle said later, “I didn’t understand a bloody word he said”
By this time, numbers of the ‘old and bolds’ were dwindling but I managed to talk to and collect autographs from many of those fellows I had read about as a youngster.
My Uncle was a stoic fellow, big in stature and hard as nails and yet that night he spent most of it with tears running down his cheeks as memories were reawakened. After that night he made me promise that after he was gone I would never miss an opportunity to continue perpetuating the memory of those times. So this thread is for you Uncle!