Battlefield Finds

Dear all,

Last summer I was in North Africa and I went to the scene of the Kasserine Pass battle of 1943. I had a walk over the battlefield and found an old cartridge case. I believe it’s a US 30-06 as used in the Springfield Sniper Rifle. The head is marked at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions with what appears to be a TS, 32, D, 4, respectively.
Any ideas?

Also whilst serving in the Falkland Islands I found a 7.62x51mm case, with 7.62x51 FLB78 on the head, on Mt. Tumbledown and belive it to be of Argentinian origin, is this confirmable?

Regards,

Tommy.

I have pictures available to add, but am currently not authorised to do so on the forum…

Tommy

Hi Tommy and welcome to the forum.
I’m not familiar with the history of the battle site at Kasserine Pass but I suspect your cartridge is French. I’m guessing it has a caselength of 54mm and, if it does, it would be a French 7.5mm MAS made by Atelier de Construction de Tarbes in the 4th quarter of 1932. The case metal was supplied by Dives. French Foreign Legion perhaps?

Your 7.62x51mm is definitely Argentinian and was made in 1978 by Fabrica Militar Fray Louis Beltran.

Jim

Hello Tommy
Welcome to the forum, we need more Brits to keep the side up. I notice you come from Newcastle as well, even better. My mothers side of the family all came from Gateshead.
I can’t help you with your query but could you put a bit more flesh on the bones regarding the actual engagement. Battle field finds are the most interesting cartridges IMO.
On the subject of the Falklands, when a friend of mine was serving over there the battle areas were still strewn with cartridges. Did he bring any back? No!

[quote=“tommyh”]Dear all,

Last summer I was in North Africa and I went to the scene of the Kasserine Pass battle of 1943. I had a walk over the battlefield and found an old cartridge case. I believe it’s a US 30-06 as used in the Springfield Sniper Rifle. The head is marked at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions with what appears to be a TS, 32, D, 4, respectively.
Any ideas?

Also whilst serving in the Falkland Islands I found a 7.62x51mm case, with 7.62x51 FLB78 on the head, on Mt. Tumbledown and belive it to be of Argentinian origin, is this confirmable?

Regards,

Tommy.[/quote]

Tommy : the case you found on Mt. Tumbledown indeed is argentinian, the headstamp denotes caliber: 7.62 X 51, FLB “Fábrica Militar Fray Luis Beltran” Rosario - Santa Fe Province - Argentina, 78 manufacturing year 1978, as Jim correctly indicates.

Dear all,

Thanks for confirming the Argie case. There still loads of stuff littering the battle fields down there, Goose Green has been pretty well cleared but Longdon, Tumbledown, Wireless Ridge etc. around Stanley still have lots of relics up on them, Comms Cables, Ponchos, trenches, footwear, sangars etc.

The Battle of Kasserine Pass was the Afrika Korps last victory in Africa in 1943 where the Germans (and Italians) beat back the advancing untested Americans. There were French present at the battle but not in the area of the pass itself, where i found the casing. So it may be from the French occupation of the 30’s, or even Germans or Italians using captured French stock after France’s defeat in 1940… who knows?! Wikipedia has a good article on the battle.

Thanks

Tommy

The Kasserine Pass is in Tunisia, which in 1943 (and for many years previously) had been a French colony. Finding evidence of French military activity wouldn’t be surprising. Jack