Beach Balls

Found a couple of balls walking on Palmetto Dunes Plantation beach the other day, here on Hilton Head. (No one really owns the beach from high tide mark to low tide mark which makes this legal.) During Civil War, over 100,000 troops were stationed on this tiny little island. Don’t play golf myself, so the dog gets the golf ball! What is Sgt Major? wolf

In The Marine Corps and Army, Sergeant Major is the title assigned to the enlisted paygrade of E-9. The enlisted scale starts at E-1 and tops out at E-9.

canister shot or grapeshot from civil-war era artillery shells would be my guess.

Totally off topic but in the British RM the senior ranking Sgt is always Stg Major and the senior ranking officer is alway Major even if that that is not their rank. A historic throwback to when the term meant what it said on the box. On board a ship no officer as high a rank as major woud every likely be deployed, even on the biggest, so major simply meant senior officer.

Not now, though but in the marines it is still courtesy to address the senior officer as Major. A little known fact that is probably all but an anacronism in today’s PC forces. I still use it on occasions and I register suprise(and maybe a little delight, because they know I know) in the faces of the officers when I do. It doesn’t apply to any other branch of the service.

Vince- That is very similar to the naval usage of “Captain” as the commanding officer of a ship, regardless of his actual rank as Captain, Commander, Lieutenant Commander, Lieutenant, Lietutenance (junior grade) or Ensign.

Of course, Captains are responsible for all the arms and ammunition assigned to their command, and for their safe storage and preservation and eventual usage.

[quote=“JohnS”]Vince- That is very similar to the naval usage of “Captain” as the commanding officer of a ship, regardless of his actual rank as Captain, Commander, Lieutenant Commander, Lieutenant, Lietutenance (junior grade) or Ensign.

Of course, Captains are responsible for all the arms and ammunition assigned to their command, and for their safe storage and preservation and eventual usage.[/quote]
Yes I hadn’t thought of that one but you are right. Even more so in civilian ship where the captain is just the boss even on a small ship, even a fishing boat. Captain Morgan, Captain Kidd etc Captain Bligh on the bounty was only a lowly rank at the time but rose later.

My daughter is shipping out to the US Navy tomorrow!!! so I am learning Naval insignia, no such rank here.

As a First Class Gunner’s Mate (E-6), I was the Turret Captain of Turret One on the Missouri. Turret Captain was actually a rate at one time. The rating badge had a silhouette of a turret on it. The battleship program was around for about a decade, 1981ish to 1991ish. We campaigned for different badges, exclusively for the battleship GMs. No luck, though. Vince, that is very interesting about the use of ‘Major’. Thanks for sharing. Vlad, your daughter is to be commended for her decision to serve. What rate (job) is she going into?

Congratulations on your daughter’s pending service. My son leaves for the U.S. Air Force in exactly 365 days. He is slated to be a technician on the “Big” cargo aircraft, like C-5 and C-141, etc… He also has explicit instructions to pass on any and all information regarding Ammunition that he encounters during his adventure in the military…

AKMS

Thanks, everybody, I think my daughter is going to be E1, we never made it to the shooting range, partying and makeup were more important. If there is a rank in charge of hairdos and makeup, she is going to excel in it. Rate(job) is Intelligence.

Hi!
My congratulations for your daughter…from a former O5 (retd) , well, corresponding rank in the French Navy…

Phil.

My profound congratulations to both SKSVLAD and Robert,on their children
joining the U.S. Services.Here’s to the kid’s,wishing them only the best,it’s a great life or at least it was for me.
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM.USA. Ret.