Belgian .50 BMG (12.7x99) Blanks

Can anyone provide any background on the uniquely Belgian design Blank for the .50 BMG caliber (12.7x99)? I believe they refer to it as the M1BG, but I can’t confirm that.

Is that designation correct?

Why the long neck blank design instead of the established M1A1 design?

Any other details?

(It’s the green tipped blank, in the center of the pic.)

Samples I have are green sealant tips 50 FNB 81 and 50 FNB 87 and red sealant tips 12.7 71 FN

Keith, I checked several FN catalogs and its designation is listed as “Blank Star”.

I have two red tipped: a 12.7 65 FN and a nickel plated example with shot inside & stamped 12.7 72 FN
Did you look to see what Ron listed them as?

just as blanks

Those with the shot filler are dummies.

Yes dummy blanks, extended necks just as shown.

FN did make short blanks as well, the one on the left is headstamped “.50 FNB 85”, ring crimp primer & purple annulus. The drill round is shown in the middle “12.7 72 FN”, 3 stake crimp, purple annulus. What is the blank on the right, copper washed case, “12.7 67 FN”, 3 stake crimp, purple annulus? I also have a long blank, red tip with hs “FN 59 12.7” (10, 2 and 6 o’clock) 3 stake crimp, purple annulus.

[quote=“50m2hb”]Can anyone provide any background on the uniquely Belgian design Blank for the .50 BMG caliber (12.7x99)? I believe they refer to it as the M1BG, but I can’t confirm that.

Is that designation correct? [/quote]

Hi Keith,

Like Fede already said, they are indeed called ‘Blank Star’ but in one of the earlier manuals i have it is indeed called M1BG.
The M1 is the model (same as the US one) and the BG stands for Belgian adaptation and/or useage… so the “long neck design” was a Belgian (FN) product with the designation M1BG.
They used several colors on the tips to seal the cartridges…Most common are red and green, but pale yellow sealant (or is it ‘old’ white…) also exists.

Geert.

Geert, interesting information, thanks. Was “M1BG” a military designation or an early one also by FN?

Fede,

When the suffix ‘BG’ is added, it is a purely ‘Belgian military’ designation… FN created/made rounds and other products are mostly designated FNxxx (like FN144 for the 20x102 TP round aka M55A2)

I know that FN made at least two types of “Blank Star” cartridges: M1BG and M1A1BG. I believe (without proof) that the M1BG has the red sealing (made before 1979) and the M1A1BG has the green sealing which is made from about 1979.
I do not know the meaning of the change in colour, but they did it also for their other calibres.

greetings